• rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

I'm psyched to hear it tomorrow!

Comment

• conyo
      Groupie
      • Aug 2004

After being a VH/DLR fan since 1985. Just like I love my mom, my wife or my kids. They are my band. Van Halen and David Lee Roth are my musical family. They've been with me through the good, the bad and everything in between. Unfortunately, I never saw the original line up. I've seen both VH and DLR go through a slow death spiral for the past 28 years. I've seen David Lee Roth triumphant though the Eat Em Smile and Skyscraper tour through the catastrophic A Little Ain't Enough tour. I saw him bomb on the Tonight Show; in the unholy Sam and Dave tour and perform New Years Eve at Universal Studios in front of maybe 2,000 fans. A guy who should of been selling out arenas, have the #1 book and be the US President. I heard him fail on the radio. I thought my band was done. Van Halen without David Lee Roth is... pizza with no sauce, a shitty crust and a ton of cheese. After seeing VH self destruct, I thought this is the end of Van Halen, it will never happen. These guys are too old, too addicted and frankly can't stand each other. I gave up, I stopped visiting here. In 2007, they got back together. I thought cash grab. I flew halfway across the US (second time on a plane) to Charlotte, because I thought my band would never make it to my hometown. They did. I saw them 3 times. Loved every show. I saw Ed self destruct in the last show and the band soon took a hiatus. I thought Ed would die. Thankfully, I was wrong.

I just heard "A Different Kind of Truth". I didn't think they could surprise me or teach me a life lesson. I was wrong twice, yet again. I was expecting the Stones "Mixed Emotions", or whatever Bon Jovi album they came back with. I was expecting a mediocre effort from my band. Listening to it I was surprised on how good the album was. Pish... good... IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING!!!! During certain songs the hairs on my arms stood up because I never thought I would never feel that feeling again from my band when I heard their music on my Walkman. The feeling of "Oh My God, this is music how it should be played and David Lee Roth is the coolest motherfucker in the planet" It's like, you run into an old high school friend you haven't seen in 30 years, you sit down, shoot the shit and feels like not a day has passed. I am listening to the album and it clicks. After 28 years, it's never too late to do what you need to do. Get this album. You will not be disappointed. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you DLR and VH. Thank you for the memories...

Comment

• conyo
        Groupie
        • Aug 2004

Jesus that had to be the gayest thing I've ever written...

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Everything I've read and heard seems to lean towards Dave having some sort of creative control. The art direction is fairly different....whatever. Ed's guitar work is through the roof. There's the proof.

Comment

• quinny
            Full On Cocktard
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
            Everything I've read and heard seems to lean towards Dave having some sort of creative control. The art direction is fairly different....whatever. Ed's guitar work is through the roof. There's the proof.
            Dave DEFINATELY has a lot of creative control...I doubt we would be here today if that was not the case. There has obviously been some real cooling in their animosity...actually I would say this has evolved after their last US tour. It is no longer just a money thing (ah la any of the recent tours)
            Ed and Al dig Dave again....Is that fucking COOL or what!

"When was the last time you tried something for the first time"

Comment

• Halen High
              Commando
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by quinny
              Dave DEFINATELY has a lot of creative control...I doubt we would be here today if that was not the case. There has obviously been some real cooling in their animosity...actually I would say this has evolved after their last US tour. It is no longer just a money thing (ah la any of the recent tours)
              Ed and Al dig Dave again....Is that fucking COOL or what!

You're right. We are seeing a genuine bond from some dudes who have matured and learned to appreciate what they all offer. Although I think this was always the case really, but emotions, hurt feelings, egos and substance abuse got in the way.

Comment

• quinny
                Full On Cocktard
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
                You're right. We are seeing a genuine bond from some dudes who have matured and learned to appreciate what they all offer. Although I think this was always the case really, but emotions, hurt feelings, egos and substance abuse got in the way.
                Yep-anyway now PHASE 1 is complete!!!

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

fuckin crankin it on the god stereo now. hello neighbours!!!

it makes so much more sense LOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• quinny
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia

Ha ha..........YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Two thoughts:

1) Wolf is actually a better bass-player than Mikey (unless there was some real studio-doctoring going on here). His playing and sound is just more ferocious than anything I've heard in Van Halen's career, apart from maybe the lick Mike plays in the breakdown of LIGHT UP THE SKY or moments on FAIR WARNING. Listen to Wolf in SHE'S THE WOMAN or THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER.

2) Dave is a genius. There are maybe a couple of fleeting moments where I think he's doing too much vocally or he's using the low-voice a little too much...but it's really just Dave many years later with a slightly different style. Anyone who thinks he's suddenly changed hasn't listened to his solo albums. BOTTOM LINE: Listen to his vocal melody on the chorus of BEATS WORKIN'. It is sheer genius and he's the only person on Earth who could have thought of singing such a melody to that riff. It echoes BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, but in a more sophisticated manner...but just as anthemic and fist-pumping. And it beats the original chorus ("Put out the lights!") hands-down. BEATS WORKIN' alone justifies this album truly being called a comeback.
                      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia

I couldnt find my Studio monitors, but I stole another AAA battery from
                        my sons train, so Im still Bose-ing it ! Sounds shit hot even through headphones
                        cranked.
                        This on vinyl through a decent stereo tube amp, turntable and speakers
                        would be the apocolypse !!!
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Is it me or do these new songs sound like they could have been on the DLR Band album?!
                          "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• bluemustard
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

LOL

Just one thing.."Beats workin"...
                            Needs more cowbell!!!

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                              Is it me or do these new songs sound like they could have been on the DLR Band album?!
                              To me no, as you can distincatively hear Ed and Al on this......
                              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                                it's just you.

Comment

Working...