Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whorehey
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2012

Sonofabitch. Uploading a jpg is like Chinese Fucking Algebra. Brought home a copy of the early Sunday paper and scanned in the page from the Best Buy flyer. It's in WalMart too, nothing in Target.

Filling the Pez dispenser with Norco today probably wasn't one of my better ideas......
    Last edited by Whorehey; 02-04-2012, 11:13 PM.
    'Cause three holes are better than a hole-in-one!!!

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
      Commando
      • Apr 2006

Ok, just got my hands on A different Kind Of Truth. I gave the CD my first full listen front to back on my JBL in my car, and cranked it to the max, and all I can say is HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!. I had listened to the full versions of most of the songs online but nothing can compare to cranking the actual disc on a damn good system. This is the heaviest Van Halen album of all time. I am still just in shock to how fucking good it is. Over the top. Give em back the title as the greatest rock n roll band America has ever seen.

Comment

• So this is love
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Album review: Van Halen's 'A Different Kind of Truth'
        February 4, 2012 | 9:16 am 2322
        On “A Different Kind of Truth,” the first studio album from Van Halen to feature original lead singer David Lee Roth since “1984,” the charismatic front man sings about trying to land that “stone cold sister soccer mom” he’s chasing in “Honeybabysweetiedoll.” But hooking up is the least of the challenges facing Diamond Dave and his bandmates in this year of their comeback.

Some of the higher hurdles: Can they pull off this reunion moment without killing each other? Can they convince their fans that bassist/son-of-the-guitarist Wolfgang Van Halen really has earned his place in the band and can lock in with drummer/uncle Alex Van Halen? And, most important to the band’s success, is guitar maestro/dad Eddie Van Halen still able to effortlessly dance his fingers up and down the neck of his instrument in ways that not only support his claim as one of the great rock guitarists but advances his craft in a meaningful way.

And then there’s the challenge of the marketplace: In the 28 years since Roth recorded a full album with Van Halen, the landscape has completely changed. When the band’s original lineup last released a record, home taping was “killing” music and the question was whether to buy “1984” on LP or cassette, or borrow a friend’s copy and tape over Foreigner “4.”

Now the dilemma isn’t just, should you spend money on the CD ($14.99 list price) or a digital copy (also — frustratingly — $14.99). It’s also, how much are you willing to commit to buying in? Will a few dropped bucks on a handful of the best individual tracks suffice? Or will “A Different Kind of Truth” be the perfect Spotify streaming album, not good enough to pay hard money for but worth a mouse-click when you’ve got a spare few minutes? Or should you just ask your computery friend to Sendspace you a pirated copy?

Looking at this record in purely financial terms: It’s got three works, “As Is,” “Outta Space” and “Big River” that would warrant spending real money on. These could have been hits in the alternate universe in which Van Halen followed up “1984,” not with the Sammy Hagar-helmed “5150” but with the original lineup intact. Three others are halfway decent songs that might click at some point (“You and Your Blues,” “Bullethead,” “Blood and Fire”), that you’d be advised to put in your queue for further reflection; a few harmless filler tracks; and three clunkers that the band should be reimbursing us for (“Tattoo,” “Beats Workin’,” “Stay Frosty”).

It’s actually a perfect rock record for the pick-and-choose era: a handful of good songs that you can buy without having to deal with the fat.

“A Different Kind of Truth” is actually not bad; in fact, it’s pretty good, all things considered. Faint praise, sure, but given the quality of the band’s first single from it, “Tattoo,” and the history of aging bands reuniting for another stab at the charts and a cash-in on former glory, one can be forgiven for being skeptical.

A pop metal song that bangs around in the head clumsily, “Tattoo” certainly wasn’t a positive portent, but that half of the record rises to the level of the band’s glory days is a testament to the ingredients that made up Van Halen circa ’84, and “Truth” is a confirmation that this band wasn’t a fluke.

Thirteen high-volume songs created after successful negotiations between the Three Twins LLC (a.k.a. Alex, Eddie and Wolfgang), and you-know-who’s Diamond Dave Enterprises Inc., “A Different Kind of Truth” lives up to its name: This is alternate-reality rock in which a band attempts to time travel into 2012 from 1984, rehearse for a few months and complete enough decent songs to convince fans that a tour ticket will be worth it and that Van Halen is a real deal band making a real deal record despite the inter-band machinations and tour revenue prognostications.

Killer riffs abound. Were Eddie Van Halen stripped of his legend and offered to the masses as a hot new find, he’d still be received as one of the meanest, most thrilling metal guitarists in the genre’s history. Throughout “A Different Kind of Truth,” Eddie maneuvers between massive speed metal sprints and his trademark wailing solo style; the latter flashy guitar runs tend to sound samey over the course of the album, but taken individually, Eddie has seldom sounded better. One listen to his contributions to “Big River” should shut up any doubters.

The other way to look at it is that despite the bangers that successfully revive the Van Halen brand, half of this record features songs that will seldom if ever make it onto a concert set list. It’s these songs that drag the whole thing down and make “A Different Kind of Truth” feel tired, like an awesome old-school Trans Am that can do a wicked burnout from time to time but stalls from misuse.

Van Halen
        "A Different Kind of Truth"
        (Interscope Records)
        Two-and-a-half stars (out of four)

-- Randall Roberts
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

I totally agree that Beats Workin' is a clunker...

Sounds like a reject from A Little Ain't Enough...

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

How does it sound like a reject from ALAE?? The music was almost completely written in 1976.

The vocal melody on the chorus is insane. It's so good.

Great bass sound too. It's BEAUTIFUL GIRLS for the 2010's.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Randall Roberts is clearly a fucking sheep who blew his eardrums out at a Justin Timberlake concert, and doesn't know the best album of the 21st century (so far) when he hears it.

And I'm not the only one who thinks so. As seen in the comments section of the article page......

Brett Norton · Thousand Oaks, California
              I read this ridiculously, stupid review of an incredible album and then realized it was an LA Times article. 'Nuff said.
              Last edited by FORD; 02-05-2012, 01:09 AM.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Reimburse us for 'Stay Frosty'?

WHAT THE FUCK?

I was about to mail Van Halen an extra $50 just for making that song alone!
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                  How does it sound like a reject from ALAE?? The music was almost completely written in 1976.

The vocal melody on the chorus is insane. It's so good.

Great bass sound too. It's BEAUTIFUL GIRLS for the 2010's.
                  i really like Beats Workin'. the only comparison to ALAE...i think it's the right fit as the last track, and i feel the same way about Drop In The Bucket on ALAE. and i dig the classic bass/drums/guitar intro and the little bass riff with Ed wailing over it at the end.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Julius
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

Tattoo is the only clunker in the lot.

Comment

• rustoffa
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Unreal. I've listened to the whole thing like two or five times now and can't really find a proper place to categorize it. That break on "Chinatown" almost approaches grindcore status. The fantastic thing about some of the reviews I've read is that all the critics are dipshits.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                        The fantastic thing about some of the reviews I've read is that all the critics are dipshits.
                        Roth Army Icon
                        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• rustoffa
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Great to see ya Natra!

Comment

• tjvhou812
                            Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Julius
                            Tattoo is the only clunker in the lot.

i dont know what you guys are listening to, but tattoo and beats working are both great songs....
                            there is not one song on this cd that is a throw away, from beginin to end this cd fucking ROCKS
                            Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

agree tj.. i've pounded this record loud for two days straight... there aint a bad second on it, let alone a bad song

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

favorite song? it depends on the mood I'm in...ask me yesterday? "As Is"...today? woke up humming Tattoo on my way to the morning dump...tomorrow? can't wait to find out!
                                Roth Army Icon
                                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...