X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I haven't tried it yet but will look out for it.

It loses points for me though for being in a small bottle which is a bit of a hassle.
    Hassle?!

It's in 660ml bottles as well ... 🍻🍻
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
      There are a handful of others, as well. Namely...

Oates from Hall & Oates
      The guy in WHAM not named George Michael
      Both Milli and Vanilli
      Brooks from Brooks & Dunn
      That dude from Sugarland

And ultimately, Ringo Starr.

When asked once if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John Lennon replied: "best drummer in the world!?! He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles."
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
        When asked once if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John Lennon replied: "best drummer in the world!?! He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles."
        love that quote
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well, when you consider some of the best drumming on the White Album was actually Paul's work, John may have had a point
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by vandeleur
            love that quote
            I could imagine that Ringo was even there with Lennon when he said that - maybe just part of the ribbing that drummers have always had to put up with.

D'you remember when DLR and AVH used to do the radio interviews together? They were like a comedy double-act, with Al as the straight man. I think Al might have been there when Dave told Jim Ladd, I think it was, that "Alex used to work out at LAX sorting out the baggage. He used to be the guy who lost your bags - now that he's in the band, he's the guy who loses the beat!"

But Al got his share of laughs at Dave's expense, too. There's one Jim Ladd interview with Dave and Al - and they should release this stuff officially - where Jim Ladd says to Dave, either just before he goes into that version of '79th and Sunset', or just after it ... "I'm real surprised you can even sing without having Eddie's guitar up there to carry it along". Alex collapses in a fit of laughter, and Dave takes it in his stride.
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Ringo quote has haunted him though.

The thing about drumming is that the majority of people can't tell a pretty poor one from a pretty good one, certainly most of The Beatles audience couldn't.

The quote took off and Ringo is synonymous now with terrible drumming in the same way Mother Theresa somehow is for kindness.

Both things are actually in fact false.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by loucap81
                He really needs to get over that he's not in the band anymore. Unlike Roth, it's not like he was any meaningful part of the creativity process. He was on the border of being fired over 30 years ago. I wasn't annoyed by his comments earlier this month but now he's getting on my nerves.

Top two luckiest people in rock n' roll history:

1) Adam Clayton
                2) Michael Anthony
                Adam Clayton....thats hilarious....great point. Sid Vicious was a talentless piece of crap also. I won't say Michael Anthony was/is talentless.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Is this bullshit in the proper forum ??

Comment

• fourthcoming

Ringo did have 2 number 1 songs as a solo artist before Lennon ever had one. And those were the tunes McCartney and Harrison helped him on. The tune Lennon wrote and played on for Ringo's solo album didn't reach number 1.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      Is this bullshit in the proper forum ??
                      Yes...

It's a primer thread for our glorious return to Business-as-Usual™ mode on this board when the Mighty Van Halen gets back to doing jack shit in 3 weeks...
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Hey, how 'bout a Wolfie hair thread ??

Comment

• knifedaddy
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • May 2006

Ringo=Mike

Originally posted by FORD
                          Well, when you consider some of the best drumming on the White Album was actually Paul's work, John may have had a point
                          But Ringo's "everyman" personae was part of the Beatles' appeal. They already had Pete Best as a drummer, who was good looking and attracted all the girls. They booted him. This has been discussed by Beatles biographers and perhaps is worth revisiting now in this MA discussion.

John Lennon was the "witty one"
                          Paul McCartney was the "cute one" (again, from biographers, thanks
                          George Harrison was the "mysterious one"
                          Ringo Starr was "the everyman"

Fans of the Beatles knew they couldn't be John, or Paul, or George, but perhaps if they played some drums...perhaps...and maybe were in the right place and time, they could have been Ringo. Ringo was that connection to the audience. You rooted for him.

I always saw Classic Van Halen as having the same template:

Dave was the witty one, the John Lennon.
                          Eddie was the cute one (80's posters in girls rooms)
                          Alex was the mysterious one
                          and Michael Anthony was the everyman

I've seen them live with Dave and Sammy and I always connected with Mike as the regular guy.

If all the members of the Beatles were alive and they toured with John, Paul, George...and say Julian Lennon was on drums (say Ringo was booted) something would be missing, wouldn't it? That's how I feel. I dig the new VH album and I'm thankful for it, just thought I'd share these thoughts.
                          Last edited by knifedaddy; 05-31-2012, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Hey, how 'bout a Wolfie hair thread ??
                            count me in!
                            Roth Army Icon
                            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

I have always considered Michael Anthony as the everyman that your average fan connected with in VH. Oddly enough, I as a bassist never connected that much with MA, but much more so with Dave and Ed and the band as a whole. VH was/is one of my favorite bands, but the bassists that I were into weren't in Van Halen, but I have to say that Wolf is quite impressive, the kid can really really play and sing, never mind his drumming and guitar abilities. Although I will say that I eventually learned[or have tried to learn] to appreciate all musicians, bands, and styles of music because one can never ever stop learning and that will eventually make one a better overall musician and person.

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                                I have always considered Michael Anthony....
                                I never considered Michael Anthony at all. Until all the drama from the 2004 tour to present. It was always about Eddie & Dave.
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...