X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angel
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
    People with Parkinsons if their symptoms are managed can live full lives. It's not considered to be a death sentence anymore. However, if that is the case that D-Ro has the beginnings of Parkinsons...Is Dave being conscientious or oblivious to his condition?....being oblivious could cost him his life
    My ex has been managing his with weed quite well. Staying active helps A LOT. The side effects from the L-dopa meds are often worse than the symptoms of the disease. That's what M. Foxes "jerky spine" movements are caused by, and why my ex switched to weed. Plus it only works for about 5 years.

I'm sure he's on top of it At least enough to stick his hand in his pocket during the end of tour announcement video.
    Last edited by Angel; 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I just listened to a fairly recent interview of Dave and he admitted he's in constant pain. Usually a person who makes a living doing extreme movements for a living pays the price later. Then you might have injuries or arthritis and things. But it sounded like Dave has a lot of pain to fight through all the time. Not uncommon for people past 60. I think the guy works his ass off and some nights he's good other nights he's way off.

I've lost interest. I wish the guy well. He's been entertaining but if I want to go to sleep I will put a current VH concert on. I think they are getting close to the point where they should just hang it up. Val said the only reason Ed is even doing it is to play on stage with Wolfie. She said Ed was ready to hang it up.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• fraroc
        Commando
        • Jun 2012

It just seems that there has been so much bad luck in the Van Halen camp lately...

2004: Eddie is a full blown alcoholic and almost dies from it
        2007: Eddie still is an alcoholic and almost blows the entire reunion tour
        2012: Eddie is sober and healthy for the most part, but gets an attack of diverticulitis which would have killed him had he not had the operation.
        2014: The possibility of Dave having the beginning symptoms of a neurological disease like Parkinson's

How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I'm amazed they are all still alive. All of them including Mike were major party animals for years. Lot's of booze, cigarettes, and blow has a detrimental effect on your older years. A lot of blow use causes heart problems. I mean it's Van Halen. They burned the candle at both ends for years. Ed is alive due to modern medicine. Apparently he's in a better marriage now and he looks happy. I think he was a miserable fuck for years being married to Val coping with drugs and booze. When she left him the man went over the edge. He gets a new woman and he's all smiles.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• atomicpnk47
            Head Fluffer
            • Feb 2007

And yet Keith Richards still walks the earth. Can't forget Ozzy. I doubt any of these guys thought about what drugs, drink and partying would do to them 20-30 yrs. down the line. Live fast die young...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

I certainly can understand why everyone is so passionate about the topic, lord knows that we wouldn't be here nearly every day for the last 15 years, not to mention the time and money spent on this band....

But I find all of this entire speculation extremely irresponsible....

That's all I wanted to say....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fraroc
                Commando
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                I certainly can understand why everyone is so passionate about the topic, lord knows that we wouldn't be here nearly every day for the last 15 years, not to mention the time and money spent on this band....

But I find all of this entire speculation extremely irresponsible....

That's all I wanted to say....
                Is it that bad that we're concerned about Dave's health? He's lived an amazing 58 years and even if he's not preforming with Van Halen I want to see him live a healthy remainder of his life.....If it is true that he does have Parkinsons or MS, It's going to kill me so much to see David Lee Roth, someone I idolized since I was seven years old, someone who was a living God to me, die a wheelchair-bound invalid who can't walk, talk, go to the bathroom or eat without help WHAT KIND OF FUCKING LIFE IS THAT?!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Is it that bad that we're concerned about Dave's health? He's lived an amazing 58 years and even if he's not preforming with Van Halen I want to see him live a healthy remainder of his life.....If it is true that he does have Parkinsons or MS, It's going to kill me so much to see David Lee Roth, someone I idolized since I was seven years old, someone who was a living God to me, die a wheelchair-bound invalid who can't walk, talk, go to the bathroom or eat without help WHAT KIND OF FUCKING LIFE IS THAT?!
                  1) It's an amazing 59 years, he turns 60 in October.

2) Of course it's not bad that you're concerned with his, or anyone else's health. But what you're doing is 100% speculation, and speculating about a person's health, particularly on a message board dedicated to him, is IMO very irresponsible.

What would you say if some rag-tag rock website picks up on this thread and starts posting articles like "Does David Lee Roth Have Parkinson's?". Next thing you know, it's all over the Internet (you KNOW it will), and the next thing you know WE (collectively) look like shit.....

This, after DLR himself gave us exclusive videos and show passes.

Like I said, I admire the passion towards his health, but this is dangerous territory....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    I just listened to a fairly recent interview of Dave and he admitted he's in constant pain. Usually a person who makes a living doing extreme movements for a living pays the price later. Then you might have injuries or arthritis and things. But it sounded like Dave has a lot of pain to fight through all the time. Not uncommon for people past 60. I think the guy works his ass off and some nights he's good other nights he's way off.

I've lost interest. I wish the guy well. He's been entertaining but if I want to go to sleep I will put a current VH concert on. I think they are getting close to the point where they should just hang it up. Val said the only reason Ed is even doing it is to play on stage with Wolfie. She said Ed was ready to hang it up.
                    I think they can still make another good record - live shows?? Dunno - if it is something different like a Cafe Wha kind of scenario, then the age issues with Dave - or the issues with his voice / singing - just don't seem as apparent to me.

I have always thought - throughout all their success, etc - that VH were still essentially a bar band. I never, ever thought they were a 'stadium band' - they just don't have the right kind of material for those spaces. They can function in smaller performance environment quite naturally without it presenting any kind of impediment, or being any kind of comedown - let's face it, their set has always been comprised of short punchy songs etc. You could transport them back to 1962 and they'd be like the Beatles, a fucking bar band in some place like Hamburg. I'd still pay, and pay over the odds, to see them in that kind of environment.

But the stories of the last tour, with the trouble with the blowers, etc. You can see that Dave has some difficulty singing when he's chomping gum thru the whole set to avoid his mouth and throat drying out. You can even hear it and see it if you see him being interviewed when he is just talking - his breathing is kind of not under control and he often has to draw breath mid-sentence, or seems to be kind of swallowing mid-sentence. I have no idea what it is, but I'd guess that if you are a singer you need to be in control of your breathing.

I think the setting of the bigger arena shows is magnifying what we are thinking of as Dave's difficulties. Physicality was so much a part of what he was about back in the early days, and when you can't give that anymore ... well, maybe you just need a different kind of environment, where the expectation is not that you'll be the Dave of old, sailing through the air, etc.

Think of seeing the band in a club today, even as old guys ... there would be an excitement about it. I didn't see any shows on the last tour, but the best video I have seen from around the ADKOT release / tour was the Cafe Wha show. I think on the larger stages, with the video projection, and it all appearing on youtube, it is too easy to focus on negatives.

And maybe that is just something that happens to any bunch of guys who are about their ages and who are still playing what was - in its conception and original incarnation - energetic, young dudes', kick ass rock'n'roll.
                    Last edited by VHscraps; 01-31-2014, 11:52 PM.
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Angel
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

1) It's an amazing 59 years, he turns 60 in October.

2) Of course it's not bad that you're concerned with his, or anyone else's health. But what you're doing is 100% speculation, and speculating about a person's health, particularly on a message board dedicated to him, is IMO very irresponsible.

What would you say if some rag-tag rock website picks up on this thread and starts posting articles like "Does David Lee Roth Have Parkinson's?". Next thing you know, it's all over the Internet (you KNOW it will), and the next thing you know WE (collectively) look like shit.....

This, after DLR himself gave us exclusive videos and show passes.

Like I said, I admire the passion towards his health, but this is dangerous territory....
                      I've seen it discussed elsewhere...
                      "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Hahahaha...

That made me laugh...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by atomicpnk47
                          And yet Keith Richards still walks the earth. Can't forget Ozzy. I doubt any of these guys thought about what drugs, drink and partying would do to them 20-30 yrs. down the line. Live fast die young...
                          not to mention that guy...

Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• fraroc
                            Commando
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                            not to mention that guy...

And in recent news, it's still up in the air on whether or whether not he'll ever be able to tour again.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Angel
                              I've seen it discussed elsewhere...

Makes it no less irresponsible IMO....

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

And in recent news, it's still up in the air on whether or whether not he'll ever be able to tour again.
                                the man is 68 and suffering from diabetes...68 is a hell of a number of years...I don't want to imagine dave in eight years pushing 70
                                Roth Army Icon
                                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...