X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

Not that I don't like some of Billy's older stuff, but it definitely would be two different audiences there.

True dat. I also dig me some Billy Joel. Not really his obscure stuff, but the 20 greatest hits are songs everyone pretty much knows & loves. Id pay to go see him.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I thought about going to that concert a few years back when he was touring with Elton John, and they were playing on each other's material and what not. Seemed like an interesting concept for a tour. Didn't end up going, but I got a bootleg of that tour somewhere......

Not sure if I could see Billy actually on stage with Van Halen though
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chi-town324
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Feb 2007

if it is indeed true it's very good news... been some kind of week for the band huh?

Comment

• Zing!
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Hmmm... DLR talks at length in his book about 'foment.' Is that what he's doing right now?

Like anything else VH, I'll believe it when I see it...
          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
            if it is indeed true it's very good news... been some kind of week for the band huh?
            Maybe someone in camp VH decided they had to put some "positive" news out there to contradict the negative impressions that a lot of folks took away from Dave's interview in Rolling Stone?

Hey, whatever works....... though if this turns out to be a false start too, I don't think they will have a single fan left in Australia. And I couldn't blame them.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Zing!
              Hmmm... DLR talks at length in his book about 'foment.' Is that what he's doing right now?

Like anything else VH, I'll believe it when I see it...
              Well, the promoter's sure got a LOT of work to do to sell out an 83,000 capacity stadium for two nights in a row in approx. 8 weeks with such a glittering cast of big-draw acts - especially as the ONLY mention of this Festival (that has been set-up to celebrate an obscure 1974 biker movie ... I have to keep reminding myself) is in relation to this Van Halen / Billy Joel story today.

I tell you. This story is total hogwash.
              Last edited by VHscraps; 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM.
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by damngoodtimes
                This is two full months ahead of the Japan dates. I would actually feel better if it was closer to those dates; better chance of filling in a few more Aussie shows, maybe NZ and make it one trip.

That's why I'm suspecting this Stone Music Festival could turn out to be Soundwave Debacle Part 2. Why is VH flying all their concert gear 8,000 miles from CA to Australia just to play one show? Why not book several dates in the big cities --- they'd surely draw as much as the cringeworthy Fairy Cherone tour in '98, no ??

Be a nice way to fill up the time before packing it all up and shipping it 3,000 miles for the Japan gigs in late June. I mean, fuck --- make an Asia tour out of it and hit Singapore, Thailand, and China for some dates and rake in the cash! Eddie and Alex have never been to their mother's homeland in Indonesia so they could make some nostalgia family time visiting with Wolfie there.
                Last edited by TJMKID; 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Maybe Ac/Dc will let them borrow their stuff?
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Maybe Ac/Dc will let them borrow their stuff?

Hard to say --- Angus called VH a "pop band" at the '84 Donington Festival so Ed probably hasn't forgiven him for that!

I'd bet it's going to be cheapest concert gear they can rent Down Under. Seems like a really huge expense to fly all your shit 8,000 miles for one gig. Madonna or U2 would do it because they know they'll be making $30 million+ at several shows before they leave the continent.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                      That's why I'm suspecting this Stone Music Festival could turn out to be Soundwave Debacle Part 2. Why is VH flying all their concert gear 8,000 miles from CA to Australia just to play one show? Why not book several dates in the big cities --- they'd surely draw as much as the cringeworthy Fairy Cherone tour in '98, no ??
                      I'm sure the Fender rep there can get a backline of 5150 III's and whatever Wolfgang is using. The main PA, monitors, stage, and lighting will be provided by the festival. All Ed's gotta bring is a few guitars and pedalboard, maybe Al's kit from last year...but yeah, going for one show doesn't make sense, then having to go back that way for the Japanese shows. Unless they camp out in Hawaii in between gigs.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                        Hard to say --- Angus called VH a "pop band" at the '84 Donington Festival so Ed probably hasn't forgiven him for that!
                        Well, considering what Eddie did after 1984 (and Jump & I'll Wait, for that matter) I'd say he proved Angus right. So there wouldn't be much point in Ed holding a grudge based on that.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Damn, Only 2 1/2 Flying Time From Me.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2007

not alot of places to preparty at the olympic village
                            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Kings-Cross For party and Hookers.
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                                I'm sure the Fender rep there can get a backline of 5150 III's and whatever Wolfgang is using. The main PA, monitors, stage, and lighting will be provided by the festival. All Ed's gotta bring is a few guitars and pedalboard, maybe Al's kit from last year...but yeah, going for one show doesn't make sense, then having to go back that way for the Japanese shows. Unless they camp out in Hawaii in between gigs.
                                Or they stay at Dave's house in Tokyo?

(Yeah, not likely )
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...