The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

I know it's melodi-crock... but here's a tease of what may be to come...

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
      Rolling Stone hasn't been relevant since Carter was President.
      Not relevant since Carter was president.....lmfao.......I know people like to type lol and all that but when I read this I literally laughed out loud in my office.....funny shit. Rolling Stone is a bunch of flakes who grew up on the "new romantic" movement in the early 80's. A magazine full of dweebs who think The Cure was the greatest thing to ever happen to music.

Comment

• fourthcoming

"The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniels bottles is the Clash baby"

Comment

• Zing!
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Shoes, Sensible
          Mean Street ripped off from "Voodoo Queen"

SAVE ME SAMMY!!!!
          Sammy would be astonished to learn that The Stones recycled stuff from the Mick Taylor era for well over a decade. 'Tattoo You' is almost completely reworked material that Taylor wrote during his tenure in the band. It happens - it's a part of rock - and yes, even the legendary bands do it from time to time. Why is this even a big deal? Let's ask Sammy! Sam...?
          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
            If other people don't like Tattoo, who cares?

There are some strange musical tastes out there.

I mean, look at the top artists of 2010. I'm glad I'm not part of that group.
            http://www.billboard.com/charts-year...ists?year=2010
            Only about 2 artists are justified to be on there. The rest are just pop-garbage and whatever Nashville shits out every year. But the sad part is that there are no Rock bands. WTF!

That's all gonna change this year, fo sho!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

I just got off the phone with Bette Midler's parents, and they had shocking..just fucking shocking news...

They have informed me that Bette (Sammy for those dumb fucks on here) was actually sewn together from flaps of fat from his parents ass cheeks...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• VanHalener
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                I just got off the phone with Bette Midler's parents, and they had shocking..just fucking shocking news...

They have informed me that Bette (Sammy for those dumb fucks on here) was actually sewn together from flaps of fat from his parents ass cheeks...
                I would bet that after they were done sewing the fat bastard together they reacted just like this...
                ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                  Full Member Status

• May 2010

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                  Not relevant since Carter was president.....lmfao.......I know people like to type lol and all that but when I read this I literally laughed out loud in my office.....funny shit. Rolling Stone is a bunch of flakes who grew up on the "new romantic" movement in the early 80's. A magazine full of dweebs who think The Cure was the greatest thing to ever happen to music.
                  Wow... look how some people love to write ..just anything..pass it off as gospel truth...^

That mag was the end all be all for rock and roll and relative musical writing and the images they captured are some of the iconic images of all musical history durring the 70's and early 80's, but as you said they went the way of MTV'ish banality, wich was to become more of a Entertainment Tonight style of reportage style of, trend mag. I believe during the late 1980's.
                  Last edited by clarathecarrot; 01-12-2012, 10:33 AM.
                  2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                  clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• RUDE SADDLE
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                    I know it's melodi-crock... but here's a tease of what may be to come...

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."
                    Awesome news love doa. Blood and fire im sure is going to kick major spam ass.
                    ROTH ARMY ATTITUDE
                    ''And a fierce cry rings out across the Manhattan skyline''
                    - David Lee Roth 1/5/12 Cafe Wha, New York City

Comment

• flappo
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

is china town a thin lizzy cover ?

just trying to figure out if this is diver down mk 2 ?

Comment

• SNIPER
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        yep. we gotta be remembering that these are men in their 50's, with a 20 year old bassie. it's not going to sound like 1982.

i reckon i can also hear a bit of the latter part of 'hear about it later' at the end there... the unison bends and dave wailing sexay dragon magic.
                        i'm surprised no-ones mentioned that, then again, i may be deaf.

tat-too tat-too
                        I noticed it and so have many others already

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                          Wow... look how some people love to write ..just anything..pass it off as gospel truth...^

That mag was the end all be all for rock and roll and relative musical writing and the images they captured are some of the iconic images of all musical history durring the 70's and early 80's, but as you said they went the way of MTV'ish banality, wich was to become more of a Entertainment Tonight style of reportage style of, trend mag. I believe during the late 1980's.
                          I remember feeling let down by RS in 1981/82.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Rolling Stone is like any other magazine out there...you take it for what it's worth...and most of them really aren't worth anything...

Never had a problem with it because I equate it to the yuppie version of music out there...

There's some good shit...and mostly bad shit...but like I said...no biggie...

There was no gospel...but fuck...there really wasn't any gospel anywhere...
                            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TJMKID
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

Bette Midler actually pulled a string hanging out of her dusty old twat a few decades ago ---- she thought it was a tampon she forgot about it ---- just turned out to be Sambo the Pussy Nugget.

"Some kind of alien --- waits for the opening --- simply pulls a pussy string --- and Sammy cums walkin' in"

Comment

• BenJammin
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Feb 2004

Posted this on the main page but realized it probably more appropriate here in this official review thread...
                                ---------------------------
                                I haven't posted here in a long time but of course this is BIG!

I didn't care too much for it the first time but now I can't stop listening to it!

They didn't go for the bleachers on this so maybe it's anti-climactic for some after waiting so many years for a reunion. So you will have the crowd who thinks this should have been more over the top. That would have been a bad choice I think. They found the sweet spot where Dave's voice works the best these days and he dropped the attempts at hitting 'The Scream'... which is good for him at this point.

The lyrics are typical early Van Halen, nothing too serious and fucking introspective (most notably nothing too 'Journey-ish' like Van Hagar), just something fun and they nailed it.

Breaks my heart to see some hater posts around the web, but those people would probably be more comfortable at a Gaga / Katy Perry / Justin Bieber concert and wouldn't know what to do with themselves if you took them in a time machine back to a 1982 VH concert anyway.

Me, I'm happy as a pig in shit and can't wait for the rest of the album.
                                "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

Working...