Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

All the sports shows are loving the fact that there's so much speculation, conjecture and basically, something to fill in the time in an otherwise slow period in sports......at least, American sports.

Really, the only thing I would be concerned with if I was LeBron is going to a team that can get me a ring.......he has everything else. He makes more money off of merchandise and endorsements then he can from any NBA contract, so really what is the motivation other than a championship........the one thing he needs to guarantee lucrative endorsements for the rest of his life.

All professional sports are a business after all and the days of signing to a team and finishing your career there are long gone. Teams have no loyalty to players and players have no loyalty to teams.
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

this was in the otherwise amateurish News-Herald:

Les Levine: Is home where James' heart is?

Let's see if I can get through a column without mentioning LeBron James.

Sorry, it is not possible. We are all tired of hearing about this saga, but it is impossible to ignore. It might quite possibly be the most bizarre offseason story we have ever witnessed in the history of Cleveland sports, and we can't take our eyes off of it. The most interesting part of the coverage frenzy is watching the "experts" do their little dances as decision time draws near. A few of them said they were hoping James would remain in Cleveland, but none that I know of actually predicted that would happen.

As signs point to that as a real possibility, some are starting to say they knew it all the time. If James decides to stay, perhaps he can find a way to keep the soap opera going every year so Cleveland can continue to become one of America's great destination cities.

While we don't know the details of the sales pitches that were given by New York, New Jersey, Miami, Chicago and the Los Angeles Clippers, it is hard to believe any of them can beat Cleveland's sales pitch. If James, in fact, is only interested in winning, is there a guarantee that would happen with any of those franchises? What have we seen regarding the recent history of the ownership of any of those teams that would indicate they would be capable of doing more than Dan Gilbert has done, putting together NBA-best regular-season records two years in a row? What has new Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, Nets coach Avery Johnson, Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and Heat coach Erik Spoelstra accomplished as a player/coach that Cavs coach Byron Scott hasn't done?

Does James really want to play with Dwyane Wade? Isn't Michael Jordan's legacy too big to overcome? Is Joakim Noah that good that he could help LeBron win seven titles? Is Newark the center of the Mecca of basketball? Would James lose his friendship with Jay-Z if he doesn't go to the Nets? How many more endorsements can he get in New York that he can't get here? What have these franchises done in recent years other than make salary cap room? Has it been that long since James saw "More Than a Game" or noticed his own 330 area code tattoo?

Most importantly, if he leaves, can he really go home again?
      and Levine loves his "how come"s...

How come …

-- David Stern's dress code apparently only applied to the guys who were trying to convince the sweats and T-shirt-clad player to accept multi-million dollar offers this week?

-- Hometown discounts don't exist in the NBA?

-- If LeBron doesn't go to New Jersey, whose team is owned by a Russian businessman, they may change their name to the "Nyets?"

-- If Red Auerbach had coached in Dallas, when victory was assured, he would light up a Cuban cigar?
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

I actually like Levine a lot. I've talked to him a few times, and did some phone interviews with him when I worked with MVN...good guy...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i liked Levine's cable show. now that Bob August and Hal Lebowitz are gone from the News-Herald there isn't much to read in there.

Bob Finnan covers the Cavs for the N-H and he seems okay. i don't care for their Tribe guy.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
            I actually like Levine a lot. I've talked to him a few times, and did some phone interviews with him when I worked with MVN...good guy...
            wish he was on the radio up here over what we currently have.

stuttering greg brinda is still on the air.

Rizzo has a decent show, despite the fact he was a sidekick that play gay ass bumper music, and keeps flapping his mouth about hating on Ohio St.
            Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Windhorst is reporting that the Knicks met with LeBron's agent Saturday night to share with him their new gameplan with Amar'e part of the equation. They then planned to fly to Cleveland tonight, for another meeting with LeBron. LeBron said no.

I'll give it to the Knicks...they are going after it.
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

and i'll give it to LeBron...he ain't buying it.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Yeah...what a fucking clusterfuck. I'll bet you fucking money that the Knicks DID tell LeBron that they had Amare...and had to fucking cover their asses...

Apparently they met yesterday morning with him...

and fucking Amar'e is going around all but guaranteeing Parker and Carmello next year...

fucking funny stuff...

I wonder if the Cavs do have something in the fire...like Carmello...

It was interesting today...that the cavs are the only team of the ones mentioned that have a legit sign and trade, with legit players...of the teams in play for 'Bron...

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Finnan from the N-H was just on WKYC's Sunday night sports show.

he says the Bulls only have 5 guys under contract, and there's still work to be done there beyond getting LeBron. could be a tough sell.

Clippers showed up with just two reps and no big presentation, which sends the message "why bother."

Nets...LBJ would have to play in Newark for two years. okay, he wouldn't have to necessarily LIVE in Newark, but still. then there's that whole Nets/Knicks and Mets/Yankees argument. kinda like Arsenio Hall once said about LA..."you don't like the beach, we got the mountains. you don't like basketball, we got the Clippers."

didn't really comment on the Heat, beyond that he doesn't think they have a good chance of getting LBJ.

Finnan thinks LBJ has already made up his mind and that he's gonna stay here.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Finnan is being optimistic about the Bulls. Yeah, they only have five under contract, but it's the five that count. Noah, albeit a douche, is a fanatical rebounder, and can score. Rose is going to be a superstar. Deng is also under contract, and is a nice player. They really could add one max player, and contend right away. I know they'd need to add players, but the core would be outstanding.

I do think they sold too much, as most teams are. The Cavs might be in the best position to do anything...as in...add Bosh...we'll see.

Comment

• Unchainme
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Apr 2005

"During their meeting, the Bulls stressed there would be no special privileges for his friends and management team, like there have been in Cleveland."

please dear lord let this be true.

Thank you so much for Eric Peterson’s story, “Left without a home.” The story broke my heart and gave me continued empathy for those who just need a little extra “hand up” and not a “hand...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

I don't think people realize the repercussions of this.

Big Market teams are actually selling this as not wanting to be that player, on a small market team, that never wins a title.

It's just funny. All these years, Cleveland can't keep players because they can never offer up enough years or money. Now, they can offer up more money, and more years. They can offer up a playoff caliber team that likely could have won it all this year with the right coach. And the player is FROM CLEVELAND!

Unprecedented...

If he doesn't stay, there really is no hope in Mudville...ever...

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                            I don't think people realize the repercussions of this.

Big Market teams are actually selling this as not wanting to be that player, on a small market team, that never wins a title.

It's just funny. All these years, Cleveland can't keep players because they can never offer up enough years or money. Now, they can offer up more money, and more years. They can offer up a playoff caliber team that likely could have won it all this year with the right coach. And the player is FROM CLEVELAND!

Unprecedented...

If he doesn't stay, there really is no hope in Mudville...ever...
                            Eh, you never know.

Always figured when the city does win a title, it'll be when the fans least expect it.

like some sort of Browns team that just barely makes it to the playoffs and gets hot.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

There may be a rift between William Wesley and LeBron...and why?

Because Wesley is really pushing Chicago. LeBron seems to be souring a bit on Chicago...because they really pushed "filling Jordan's shoes," and rumblings that Rose had been really pushing Joe Johnson.

All from Windhorst...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Should the Cavs sign LeBron, they have talked to the Suns about dealing for Leandro Barbosa...for Jamario Moon and Delonte West.

That's if they can't nab Bosh...

Comment

Working...