Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Glad to help. I can't always keep it straight myself when it comes to the term.

Tied in with their strict salary cap, keeps big market teams from snatching everyone up by throwing money around.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

I think the Steelers are gonna go CB in the draft, LT and maybe RB in free agency....

Either Hall or Gamble would be fine to me at CB...

And I really think they're gonna pull off that trade for a RB, whether it be Duckett or Larry Johnson (not Jackson, Poj... I know you did that on purpose 'cause he's a PSU grad... )

I don't think they address QB in this draft.... You shore up that O-line, and Maddox will be fine...
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Yeah...Maddox will be fine...but he's what...33...34...dude's not getting any younger...

if they are planning on going out there and signing a good, established qb...fine...let Maddox have at it...but if they are going to develop one that's worth a damn...they better pick one now...and not fucking St. Pierre...please say that ain's so...

I don't like going after a CB in the first round...anything is better than what they have...but generally...unless you are Ricky Manning Jr....and get some breaks...you get your ass handed to you your rookie year...

I'd rather have them spend the cash on a CB...and go get some hogs in the draft...

I think they can acquire a really nice back for Burress...Jackson or Duckett would be an upgrade...although Jackson would be a gamble in a half...being that PSU grads not only have the wrong names...but suck in the NFL......with the exception of one...

I agree with you that Maddox will be fine during the regular season with a staunch line...but what happens when you get him in the playoffs?...or...get pressure on him...he pulls a Kordell and forces passes...

I think he can get you to the playoffs year after year...but he doesn't have it to get you to the SB...IMO...

I will agree that they won't go after a qb...because they never do...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Something I read yesterday off footballtalk.com, but everyone has opinions.

PITTSBURGH WON'T PART WITH PLEX

Though the Steelers might indeed be interested in acquiring from the Chargers the first overall pick in this year's draft, we're hearing that they won't be sending receiver Plaxico Burress to San Diego in order to make it happen.

The team's reluctance to shop Burress likewise puts a crimp in rumors that the Steelers might be shipping Plex to the Chiefs in exchange for running back Larry Johnson.

Johnson was drafted in the first round of the 2003 draft by the Chiefs, at a time when the long-term health of workhorse Priest Holmes was still in doubt, due to a hip injury he suffered late in the 2002 season. But with Holmes returning to form in a big way, setting the NFL record for rushing touchdowns in a single season, having Johnson around simply isn't prudent in the modern NFL -- especially since the Chiefs need a go-to receiver and more help on defense.

The Chiefs addressed the burgeoning Burress-for-Johnson rumor on Thursday, laughing it off by explaining that player-for-player trades don't "happen anymore."

"Haven't heard that one at all, and I hear rumors every day," Chiefs director of public relations Bob Moore said, according to the Kansas City Star. "It's ridiculous. There's nothing to it."

They happen less frequently, to be sure, given the cap implications. But with more teams biting the bullet by dumping contracts prior to June 1, we don't rule out a trade of Johnson simply because player-for-player trades are less common than they used to be.

The Star concludes that the Steelers wouldn't be interested in Johnson anyway, because Pittsburgh passed on Johnson when the Steelers swapped spots with the Chiefs in the first round of the 2003 draft. But the Star overlooks the fact that the Steelers were in the market a year ago not for their running back of the future, but for help in a talent-starved defensive secondary. So they traded up specifically in order to draft USC safety Troy Polamalu.

The question this year becomes whether the Steelers view Johnson as a potential long-term solution at running back, and what they'd sacrifice to get him. If anything, the fact that the Chiefs and the Steelers recently have done trading bidness suggests to us that, if the Chiefs choose to move Johnson, there's no reason to think that the Steelers won't be one of the teams they call.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Well...again...I can't believe that a Johnson for Burress straight up deal is even a thought...

makes no sense...seems you could get a player and a good pick for a decent receiver...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Yeah, I saw that article too....

Of course, that may be a ploy to sweeten the pot a little....

I think the fact that they have recent trade history could be a factor....

They traded in last year's draft so the Steelers could get Polamalu...

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

So Va...are you thinking it's a good deal straight up?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Burress for Duckett is a pretty good deal straight up IMO....

For Johnson ?? Dunno, I think KC would have to add a draft pick for that one....

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

2004 NFL Mock Draft

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

We're still a month away from the 2004 National Football League Draft (April 24-25 in New York), but Fanball's tritely named War Room is already buzzing with excitement. The area also filled with an assortment of over-priced pizzas, chips, dips, unexplainable meat products, and soda. The buffet of vittles and refreshments serve to keep the Fanball staff poorly nourished as they battle over which names will be called in the first round.

After a great deal of pen-throwing, hair-pulling, and cursing, we've churned out our first mock draft of the season. Much will change over the next 31 days, and we'll update our mockery every Wednesday.

1. San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss Comment: Eli may have actually more natural ability than Peyton, although he has along way to go before he mirrors his brother's game preparation and leadership skills. The Chargers have made waves about trading down from the top pick, but after picking Ryan Leaf and passing on Michael Vick, they can't afford not to take Manning.

2. Oakland Raiders: Mike Williams, WR, USC Comment: With Jerry Rice and Tim Brown on the edges, it's safe to say the Raiders are a bit long in the tooth at wideout. In fact, many attribute last season's disaster to the lack of a downfield threat at receiver. Al Davis values speed over all else, giving Williams the edge over Fitzgerald.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh Comment: Head coach Dennis Green desperately wants Fitzgerald, and there have been rumors of the Cards trying to trade up to grab Larry. Whether it's Fitzgerald or Williams here, he will need to battle last year's first-round pick, Bryant Johnson, for a starting spot.

4. New York Giants: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Comment: Head coach Tom Coughlin will overrule GM Ernie Accorsi, and the Giants will opt for the more immediate need (Gallery) over the long-term desire (Ben Roethlisberger).

5. Washington Redskins: Sean Taylor, S, Miami-FL Comment: The Redskins love both Taylor and Kellen Winslow, but their most immediate need is at defensive end and tackle. It's a bit too early for Tommie Harris and Kenechi Udeze, and if Roethlisberger is still available here, look for the Redskins to trade down to a team in need of a quarterback

6. Detroit Lions: Kellen Winslow Jr., TE, Miami-FL Comment: We hear good things about pass-catching tight ends in the West Coast Offense. Maybe local hero Chris Perry will be there in round two.

7. Cleveland Browns: Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami-OH Comment: The three guys the Browns really wanted--Gallery, Taylor, and Winslow--probably won't be there unless they package their pick with Dennis Northcutt and/or Tim Couch and trade up. Jeff Garcia is a short-term solution, and if they don't grab the local kid, the Steelers will. The Browns can't afford to let that happen.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma Comment: Roy Williams was awfully tempting, but the Dirty Birds need help on the front four and this is a deep draft for wideouts.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Roy Williams, WR, Texas Comment: The Jags benefit from the depth at wideout in this draft, as this Williams is also a top-five talent. He'll serve as Jimmy Smith's understudy.

10. Houston Texans: DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech Comment: The Texans may opt for an interior defensive lineman, but Hall is too talented to pass up.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Philip Rivers, QB, N.C. State Comment: Not only is Rivers the Steelers' quarterback of the future, he may take over from Tommy Maddox at some point this season.

12. New York Jets: Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami-FL Comment: The Jets need to get faster and younger at linebacker and in the secondary, but they can ill afford to pass on Wilfork if he drops to them. His stock is rising after showing up in terrific shape at the combine, and the Jets could certainly use him to address a horrendous run defense. After signing a wide receiver (Justin McCareins), a corner (David Barrett), and a linebacker (Eric Barton) in free agency, they'll jump on this talented defensive lineman if he's available.

13. Buffalo Bills: Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC Comment: The Bills would ideally draft Drew Bledsoe's eventual replacement here, but with the top three quarterbacks off the board, they'll turn their attention to Udeze - a top 10 talent who has unexpectedly dropped. Defensive end Matt Schobel recorded 12 sacks a year ago, but the Bills could certainly use another end with the size, speed, and versatility that Udeze brings to the table. The Bills could also use a wideout to complement Eric Moulds and push Josh Reed to the No. 3 slot.

14. Chicago Bears: Randy Starks, DT, Maryland Comment: Lovie Smith will be angry when Vince Wilfork goes two picks in front of them. Starks isn't a bad consolation prize, so he gets the nod over a running back since they just signed Thomas Jones.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami-FL Comment: The top defensive tackles are off the board, so they won't reach for a Sapp replacement. Replacing John Lynch here would also be a reach. They need linebackers too, and Vilma is the best in this year's class.

16. San Francisco 49ers: Reggie Williams, WR, Washington Comment: After losing Terrell Owens and Tai Streets to free agency, the 49ers would love to get Williams here. Reggie will have a chance to start alongside Brandon Lloyd, and he could have the biggest first-year impact of any receiver in this class.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State Comment: The Bengals need help in the defensive backfield, and the added bonus of Gamble being a local name and a dynamic kick returner boosts him over Dunta Robinson.

18. New Orleans Saints: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina Comment: Draft day plan in the Big Easy: defense, defense, defense. They'll start at corner by taking less of a "gamble" on Robinson.

19. Minnesota Vikings: Will Smith, DE, Ohio State Comment: The best known Twin Cities Prince just went into the Rock ‘n' Roll Hall of Fame, but the Fresh Prince will also do very well in purple.

20. Miami Dolphins – Shane Andrews, OT, Alabama Comment: Up until the trade for David Boston, Miami had glaring needs at wide receiver and offensive line. The acquisition of a Pro-Bowl caliber wideout places the focus squarely on the big boys up front, where the Dolphins could be replacing up to four starters. Were it not for character and conditioning question marks, Andrews might be a top-10 pick.

21. New England Patriots (from Ravens) – Stephen Jackson, RB, Oregon State Comment: A match made in heaven. The Patriots' top need is at running back, and the draft's best talent is available with their first of two first-round picks. Jackson has all the skills, including the pass-catching ability New England values so highly in its spread offense.

22. Dallas Cowboys – Chris Perry, RB, Michigan Comment: The Cowboys will look at Perry, Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones, and Florida State's Greg Jones at this spot. Jones and Jones both ran slow 40 times at their recent pro days, and Perry fits the Cowboys' system in that he is a sturdy workhorse who can also catch passes out of the backfield. He could make a big fantasy impact right away.

23. Seattle Seahawks – D.J. Williams, LB, Miami-FL Comment: With Harris, Wilfork, Starks, and Smith gone, the Seahawks will wait to address their needs at defensive tackle and defensive end. Williams is a speedy linebacker that can make up for the loss of Randall Godfrey and eventually replace the aging Chad Brown.

24. Denver Broncos: Ben Troupe, TE, Florida Comment: Were it not for Kellen Winslow Jr., we'd all be talking about Troupe as the next great pass-catching tight end. Who better to replace Shannon Sharpe than the guy being called the next Shannon Sharpe?

25. Green Bay Packers: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane Comment: This pick has been seemingly pre-ordained. The Packers get their heir apparent for Brett Favre and it's a guy who has been compared to him quite a bit. The two already know each other, and Losman would love to play for Green Bay.

26. St. Louis Rams: Matt Ware, S, UCLA Comment: With Troupe off the board, the Rams will look to secondary and defensive end. Aeneas Williams is aging, but the team also lost Grant Wistrom this offseason. If one of the ends (Antwan Odom, Marquise Hill, Jason Babin) surges over the next month, the Rams will go that direction. Ware might be a bit of a reach, but with Jerametrius Butler back, the Rams may opt for safety over corner.

27. Tennessee Titans: Darnell Dockett, DT, Florida State Comment: After losing Jevon Kearse and Robaire Smith to free agency, the Titans need to shore up the defensive front. They're hoping Jake Grove will be available with the second round pick they got from the Jets.

28. Kansas City Chiefs: Will Poole, CB, USC Comment: The Chiefs defense is in need of a major overhaul, and salary-cap restrictions prevented them from addressing it in free agency. Poole is just the type of instinctive cover corner Kansas City needs so that they can avoid having to roll so much help to Dexter McCleon and Eric Warfield.

28. Philadelphia Eagles: Vernon Carey, OG, Miami-FL Comment: With Terrell Owens in hand, the Eagles don't have to address their glaring need at wide receiver. Backup guard Bobbie Williams is a free agent, so the Eagles will go with Carey over Virginia Tech center Jake Grove at this spot.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Karlos Danbsy, LB, Auburn Comment: The Colts don't need much help offensively, and they've lost linebackers to free agency each of the past two seasons. Dansby will step in immediately.

31. Carolina Panthers: Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma Comment: The Panthers will take a long (and potentially hard) look at wide receivers Michael Clayton and Lee Evans, but they've lost cornerback Reggie Howard and will likely lose cornerback Terry Cousin to free agency. Carolina likes Strait's physical play.

32. New England Patriots: Daryl Smith, LB, Georgia Tech Comment: Quietly, the defending champs could lose much of their depth on the edges of their 3-4 defense if Anthony Pleasant and Bobby Hamilton leave in free agency. Though they still have Mike Vrabel and Willie McGinest on the outside, they could certainly stand to get younger. Smith gives them speed, athleticism, and instinct at the second level, not unlike potential teammate Tedy Bruschi.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

VERSION 4

APRIL 8, 2004

We know -- we've been promising the fourth version of the mock draft for two weeks. Without further adieu (and with minimal explanation this time around) here is our current best estimate/prediction/piss-in-the-wind guess as to who'll go where.

Questions? Comments? Trying to get back the money that Crown Prince Abubu of Rwanda lifted from your savings after your wife sent him the bank account numbers for her piece of $15 million? Let us know.

1. San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (via trade with Oakland Raiders): Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh.

With the Raiders locked onto Kellen Winslow -- and with the Redskins likely out of the running for him given his decision to go with the Postons -- look for Count Chocula to realize that he can slide down and snag the player whom he covets. And if Winslow is gone at No. 9, look for the Raiders to snag the fastest remaining received named Williams. To make the jump, the Jags will give up a two and a three, and maybe a three in 2005.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Ben Roethlisberger, QB Miami (Ohio).

4. New York Giants: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa.

5. Cleveland Browns (via trade with Washington Redskins): Sean Taylor, S, Miami.

Ron Wolf is smart enough to know the obviously bogus rumor that the Lions will trade down with the Pats if Sean Taylor is available ain't nothing more than a semi-elaborate effort by Matt Millen (with the help of his old pal Ron Borges) to make other teams think that he's trying to make it look like he's not really interested in getting Taylor for himself -- since he's supposedly willing to trade down and he's supposedly willing to use the pick if Taylor is gone.

Butch Davis wants Taylor, and the Browns will conclude in the end that the Lions would draft him. So they'll swap spots with the 'Skins, who'll likely add a three or a four (i.e., whatever the Browns get for Dennis Northcutt) to a depleted pack of picks.

6. Detroit Lions: Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State.

Mooch went with a committee approach in Frisco because he didn't have a franchise back. But the Lions' best years over the past 40 seasons (all three of them) came with big-name runners like Sims and Sanders. Adding Jackson to that list could be the team's best chance to get back to January football.

7. Oakland Raiders (from Cleveland through Washington): Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami.

Dan Snyder/Joe Gibbs will use the possibility of a trade down with the Bears to coax Count Chocula to throw the Jaguars three to D.C. for the right to nab Winslow five spots lower -- and several million bucks cheaper.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Roy Williams, WR, Texas.

9. Washington Redskins (from Jacksonville through Oakland): Will Smith, DE, Ohio State.

10. New York Jets (from Houston): DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech.

The Jets jump ahead of the Steelers, who'll be reluctant to trade up for the second straight year to draft for need.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Shawn Andrews, T, Arkansas.

Not the best available player (and a confirmed turd), but the Steelers' problems on offense in 2003 flowed from an inept line -- and Andrews is the next best thing to Gallery.

12. Houston Texans (from New York Jets): Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma.

13. Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, WR, USC.

True to form, Tom Donahoe eschews need and goes for the best available athlete.

14. Dallas Cowboys (from Chicago Bears): Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech.

Tuna will be willing to give up a mid-level pick or two in order to get a guy who can kick-start an anemic running game.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina.

The eventual replacement for Ronde Barber or Bryan Kelly comes to town, just like Booger McFarland in 2001.

16. San Francisco 49ers: Reggie Williams, WR, Washington.

If owner's representative John York genuinely cared about winning football games, he'd try to swing a deal to get in striking distance for another R.Williams -- Roy.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC.

18. New Orleans Saints: Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State.

19. Minnesota Vikings: D.J. Williams, LB, Miami.

20. Miami Dolphins: Ahmad Carroll, CB, Arkansas.

21. New England Patriots: Greg Jones, RB, Florida State.

22. Chicago Bears (from Dallas): Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami.

23. Philadelphia Eagles (from Seattle Seahawks): Michael Clayton, WR, LSU.

24. Denver Broncos: Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas.

25. Green Bay Packers: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane.

This pick happens only if the Packers don't acquire Tim Couch. If they do, look for them to take CB Shawntae Spencer.

26. St. Louis Rams: Shawntae Spencer, CB, Pitt.

27. Tennessee Titans: Antonio Smith, DE, Oklahoma State.

28. Seattle Seahawks (from Philadelphia): Junior Saleava, DT, Oregon State.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami.

30. Kansas City Chiefs: Will Poole, CB, USC.

Poole gets back into the first round only if he redeems himself on April 16 with a solid workout.

31. Carolina Panthers: Jeremy Leseur, CB, Michigan.

32. New England Partriots: Rashaun Woods, WR, Oklahoma St.

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                        Commando
                        • Mar 2003

http://www.profootballtalk.com

VERSION 4

APRIL 8, 2004

We know -- we've been promising the fourth version of the mock draft for two weeks. Without further adieu (and with minimal explanation this time around) here is our current best estimate/prediction/piss-in-the-wind guess as to who'll go where.

Questions? Comments? Trying to get back the money that Crown Prince Abubu of Rwanda lifted from your savings after your wife sent him the bank account numbers for her piece of $15 million? Let us know.

1. San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (via trade with Oakland Raiders): Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh.

With the Raiders locked onto Kellen Winslow -- and with the Redskins likely out of the running for him given his decision to go with the Postons -- look for Count Chocula to realize that he can slide down and snag the player whom he covets. And if Winslow is gone at No. 9, look for the Raiders to snag the fastest remaining received named Williams. To make the jump, the Jags will give up a two and a three, and maybe a three in 2005.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Ben Roethlisberger, QB Miami (Ohio).

4. New York Giants: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa.

5. Cleveland Browns (via trade with Washington Redskins): Sean Taylor, S, Miami.

Ron Wolf is smart enough to know the obviously bogus rumor that the Lions will trade down with the Pats if Sean Taylor is available ain't nothing more than a semi-elaborate effort by Matt Millen (with the help of his old pal Ron Borges) to make other teams think that he's trying to make it look like he's not really interested in getting Taylor for himself -- since he's supposedly willing to trade down and he's supposedly willing to use the pick if Taylor is gone.

Butch Davis wants Taylor, and the Browns will conclude in the end that the Lions would draft him. So they'll swap spots with the 'Skins, who'll likely add a three or a four (i.e., whatever the Browns get for Dennis Northcutt) to a depleted pack of picks.

6. Detroit Lions: Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State.

Mooch went with a committee approach in Frisco because he didn't have a franchise back. But the Lions' best years over the past 40 seasons (all three of them) came with big-name runners like Sims and Sanders. Adding Jackson to that list could be the team's best chance to get back to January football.

7. Oakland Raiders (from Cleveland through Washington): Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami.

Dan Snyder/Joe Gibbs will use the possibility of a trade down with the Bears to coax Count Chocula to throw the Jaguars three to D.C. for the right to nab Winslow five spots lower -- and several million bucks cheaper.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Roy Williams, WR, Texas.

9. Washington Redskins (from Jacksonville through Oakland): Will Smith, DE, Ohio State.

10. New York Jets (from Houston): DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech.

The Jets jump ahead of the Steelers, who'll be reluctant to trade up for the second straight year to draft for need.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Shawn Andrews, T, Arkansas.

Not the best available player (and a confirmed turd), but the Steelers' problems on offense in 2003 flowed from an inept line -- and Andrews is the next best thing to Gallery.

12. Houston Texans (from New York Jets): Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma.

13. Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, WR, USC.

True to form, Tom Donahoe eschews need and goes for the best available athlete.

14. Dallas Cowboys (from Chicago Bears): Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech.

Tuna will be willing to give up a mid-level pick or two in order to get a guy who can kick-start an anemic running game.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina.

The eventual replacement for Ronde Barber or Bryan Kelly comes to town, just like Booger McFarland in 2001.

16. San Francisco 49ers: Reggie Williams, WR, Washington.

If owner's representative John York genuinely cared about winning football games, he'd try to swing a deal to get in striking distance for another R.Williams -- Roy.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC.

18. New Orleans Saints: Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State.

19. Minnesota Vikings: D.J. Williams, LB, Miami.

20. Miami Dolphins: Ahmad Carroll, CB, Arkansas.

21. New England Patriots: Greg Jones, RB, Florida State.

22. Chicago Bears (from Dallas): Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami.

23. Philadelphia Eagles (from Seattle Seahawks): Michael Clayton, WR, LSU.

24. Denver Broncos: Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas.

25. Green Bay Packers: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane.

This pick happens only if the Packers don't acquire Tim Couch. If they do, look for them to take CB Shawntae Spencer.

26. St. Louis Rams: Shawntae Spencer, CB, Pitt.

27. Tennessee Titans: Antonio Smith, DE, Oklahoma State.

28. Seattle Seahawks (from Philadelphia): Junior Saleava, DT, Oregon State.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami.

30. Kansas City Chiefs: Will Poole, CB, USC.

Poole gets back into the first round only if he redeems himself on April 16 with a solid workout.

31. Carolina Panthers: Jeremy Leseur, CB, Michigan.

32. New England Partriots: Rashaun Woods, WR, Oklahoma St.
                        Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
                        "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Those deals are going to shape the draft...it may be an interesting one...especially since there are so many solid players...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

It is a very deep draft. No way to know what teams are just talking smack, making up rumors to influence position or what.

Here's the mock we did for our site, working on the 2nd round this week.

1. San Diego (4-12) – Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi

2. Oakland (4-12) – Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (OH)

3. Arizona (4-12) – Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh

4. NY Giants (4-12) – Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa

5. Washington (5-11) – Sean Taylor, S, Miami

6. Detroit (5-11) - Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State

7. Cleveland (5-11) – Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami

8. Atlanta (5-11) – Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC

9. Jacksonville (5-11) – Roy Williams, WR, Texas

10. Houston (5-11) – Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma

11. Pittsburgh (6-10) – Philip Rivers, QB, North Carolina State

12. NY Jets (6-10) – DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech

13. Buffalo (6-10) – Will Smith, DE, Ohio State

14. Chicago (7-9) – Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami

15. Tampa Bay (7-9) – Jonathan Vilma, MLB, Miami

16. San Francisco (7-9) – Reggie Williams, WR, Washington

17. Denver from Cincinnati (8-8) – Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State

18. New Orleans (8-8) – Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina

19. Minnesota (9-7) – D.J. Williams, OLB, Miami

20. Miami (10-6) – Shawn Andrews, OT, Arkansas

21. New England from Baltimore (10-6) – Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech

22. Dallas (10-6) – Chris Perry, RB, Michigan

23. Seattle (10-6) – Darnell Dockett, DT, Florida State

24. Cincinnati from Denver (10-6) – Ben Troupe, TE, Florida

25. Green Bay (10-6) - J.P Losman, QB, Tulane

26. St. Louis (10-6) – Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma

27. Tennessee (12-4) - Mike Williams, WR, USC

28. Philadelphia (12-4) – Will Poole, CB, USC

29. Indianapolis (12-4) – Karlos Dansby, OLB, Auburn

30. Kansas City (13-3) – Vernon Carey, OT, Miami

31. Carolina (11-5) – Michael Clayton, WR, LSU

32. New England (14-2) – Chris Snee, OG, Boston College

Not like anyone is going to get them all, so figured what the hell.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

2004 NFL Mock Draft

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

The NFL Draft is fast approaching (April 24-25), and rumors continue to swirl about potential trades that could shake the very foundation of the draft. As per usual, the Fanball staff is tracking each and every report.

And, like we did last week, we're speculating on a couple of the more prominent rumors to see just how they might affect the draft. This week's trades involve the Giants moving up to the top spot, with the Chargers collecting a cache of additional picks by sliding first to fourth and then to tenth. Also, we see the Raiders—who last week in our mock traded down to the Browns' pick—dealing down again, this time with the Redskins. Interestingly enough, last week's Fanball mockery had the Skins trading down. That's how quickly things change in the NFL.

And now, on with the countdown...

1. New York Giants (projected from Chargers): Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi Comment: We're playing out the recent rumors of the Giants trading up to grab Manning. Along with the fourth selection, the G-Men would likely package Kerry Collins, Ike Hilliard, and/or more draft picks. Manning would probably battle a token veteran for the starting job.

2. Washington Redskins (projected from Raiders): Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa Comment: The Redskins need cap room and have asked left tackle Chris Samuels to rework his salary. No dice, says his agent, who also happens to represent the disgruntled Patrick Ramsey. So, the ‘Skins are looking to send Samuels to the Raiders and move up to grab the coveted Gallery.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh Comment: Yawn. It's no secret that the Cards covet Fitzgerald, and only the Raiders could ruin Denny Green's dream by sticking at #2 and grabbing Larry. If that happens, the Cardinals will look at Roy Williams and Sean Taylor.

4. Houston Texans (projected from Giants via Chargers): Sean Taylor, S, Miami-FL Comment: With the Chargers locked in on Philip Rivers and looking to trade down again, Houston should be more than willing to package some of its 10 picks in an effort to move up and grab the best defensive player in the draft. 5. Oakland Raiders (projected from Redskins): Roy Williams, WR, Texas Comment: Raiders' owner Al Davis scores some extra draft picks for the oldest team in the league and still gets the receiver he wants in this slot. Williams will get at least one year of tutoring from greatest receiver in history, Jerry Rice.

6. Detroit Lions: Kellen Winslow, Jr., TE, Miami-FL Comment: The Lions will wait until rounds two or three to fill their need at running back. Winslow visited the Lions recently and has no problem with them drafting him despite his father's harsh criticism over the Steve Mariucci hiring process last year.

7. Cleveland Browns: Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami-OH Comment: Imagine you and three of your friends run into the Dahm triplets and their unattractive friend. How would you feel if you ended up with the dumpy one? That's how the Browns are situated in this draft, watching Gallery and Taylor and Winslow go off the board. If they don't trade down, Roethlisberger is a decent consolation prize, since it's unlikely Jeff Garcia is the future of Cleveland football.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Will Smith, DE, Ohio State Comment: The Falcons will be torn between addressing needs on the defensive line, in the secondary, and at wide receiver. The defensive-minded Jim Mora, Jr., is most likely to draft defense, but will have a tough time choosing between Smith and DeAngelo Hall.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC Comment: With Roy Williams off the board, it will be easier for Jack Del Rio to stick to his plan of going with a defensive lineman in the first round. Trojans reunited!

10. San Diego Chargers (projected from Texans): Philip Rivers, QB, N.C. State Comment: The Chargers trade down in the draft, stockpile other picks, and still get the quarterback that head coach Marty Schottenheimer has reportedly fallen in love with.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech Comment: The Chargers won't trade down past Pittsburgh, since they know how much the Steelers covet Rivers. Unless Bill Cowher trades down and takes J.P. Lohsman, they'll use this pick to address their glaring need for a cover corner.

12. New York Jets: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina Comment: Jets' officials would love to see DeAngelo Hall drop to them after missing out on Antoine Winfield in free agency, but they'll settle for the equally fast Robinson.

13. Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, WR, USC Comment: The Bills found out the hard way that Josh Reed wasn't ready to replace Peerless Price. In Williams, the team gets a second receiver, which will allow Reed to return to the third receiver role he once shined in.

14. Chicago Bears: Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma Comment: Clean up in the Bears' war room! Clean up in the Bears' war room! Their biggest draft day need is fulfilled with the top player at the position thanks to a series of trades in front of them that allowed Harris to slide.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami-FL Comment: Jonathan Vilma is a strong candidate to be selected here, and the team is also rumored to be considering wide receivers. It's going to be hard for team officials to pass on Wilfork, who can be plugged in as a replacement for Warren Sapp.

16. San Francisco 49ers: Reggie Williams, WR, Washington Comment: The 49ers need help at receiver, defensive tackle, and defensive end, and Reggie Williams is likely their top priority. If he's gone, it likely means that Smith, Harris, or Wilfork has fallen, and the club would be pleased with any one of those three guys. If all four are off the board, the 49ers may look to move down the board.

17. Denver Broncos (from Bengals): Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State Comment: Broncos' coach Mike Shanahan traded up with the intent of getting Jackson. However, the Patriots hold two first round picks, so there's a chance they could swing a trade and win the Jackson sweepstakes.

18. New Orleans Saints: Jonathan Vilma, LB, Miami-FL Comment: The Saints have a need at cornerback, but Chris Gamble lives up to his last name. Saints' coach Jim Haslett will happily select the best linebacker available.

19. Minnesota Vikings: D.J. Williams, LB, Miami-FL Comment: If the actual draft works out this way, the Vikes will be thrilled. They would be more than happy to select either Vilma or Williams to shore up their linebacking corps.

20. Miami Dolphins: Shawn Andrews, OT, Arkansas Comment: Not the flashiest pick, but a logical choice for a team that lives and dies on Ricky Williams and the ground game.

21. New England Patriots: Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech Comment: Jones loves Bill Belichick, but does the Patriots head coach love Jones enough to stand back and allow the Broncos to take Steven Jackson? If not, look for the Pats to package their two first-round picks to move ahead of the Broncos.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Chris Perry, RB, Michigan Comment: With Jackson and Jones off the board, the Cowboys grab the third-rated back in the draft. Rumor has it that Dallas prefers Jones, and they may opt to grab a cornerback or offensive lineman over Perry.

23. Seattle Seahawks: Randy Starks, DT, Maryland Comment: It's all about defense for the Seahawks, and they would love for Vilma or D.J. Williams to fall this far and fill their need at linebacker. With both Miami linebackers off the board, Starks or linebacker Karlos Dansby will likely be the pick.

24. Cincinnati Bengals (from Broncos): Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State Comment: The Bengals added Deltha O'Neal in the trade that dropped them to this pick, but unless Marvin Lewis has a sudden craving for a defensive lineman, picking the athletic and versatile—not to mention local—Gamble makes the most sense.

25. Green Bay Packers: Marquise Hill, DE, LSU Comment: Assuming the Pack finally, someday, any day now lands Tim Couch to back up Brett Favre, they will address their glaring need on the defensive line. Hill, who is currently in Green Bay visiting the Packers, can play end and move inside if need be.

26. St. Louis Rams: J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane Comment: The Rams are reportedly looking at five different positions and eight different players at this spot. We're betting those five spots are quarterback, defensive end, tight end, offensive guard, and safety, in no particular order. We're going with Losman over a defensive end, which might be the smarter short-term move since the Rams lost Grant Wistrom.

27. Tennessee Titans: Antwan Odom, DE, Alabama Comment: It may be very difficult for the Titans to pass on Vernon Carey, but they will if they think Jake Grove will still be on the board when they use the Jets' pick acquired for Justin McCareins in round two. Kevin Carter moves inside this year, meaning the need is for a pass-rushing defensive end; Odom fits the bill.

28. Kansas City Chiefs: Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin Comment: We know how much the Chiefs need defensive help, but we also know how much head coach Dick Vermiel loves speedy receivers. Everyone knows the former Rams coach loves a good cry, and we're sure he'll have one if speedster Evans is still available this late.

29. Philadelphia Eagles: Vernon Carey, OG, Miami-FL Comment: The Eagles have needs at offensive line, linebacker, and cornerback. All three positions are possibilities, and Andy Reid will grab the top-rated player left at those spots. Carey would back up multiple spots along an injury-plagued line.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Karlos Dansby, LB, Auburn Comment: Indy's needs clearly lie on the defensive side of the ball, and Dansby is the top defender left on the board. More importantly, he fills an immediate need, as the Colts have lost a starting linebacker to the salary cap each of the past two seasons.

31. Carolina Panthers: Michael Clayton, WR, LSU Comment: Most draft experts consider Clayton a safer pick than Lee Evans and the Wisconsin receiver's twice-surgically repaired knee. Meanwhile, rumors persist that head coach John Fox would like to draft an eventual replacement for Mushin Muhammad.

32. New England Patriots: Ben Troupe, TE, Florida Comment: Having already addressed the running back need, Belichick is free to draft the best tight end New England has seen since the glory days of Ben Coates. If Troupe is gone by the time this pick comes up, their defensive guru of a coach may consider defensive backs such as Derrick Strait and Sean Jones.

Comment

• High Life Man
                                Commando
                                • Jan 2004

What up POJ?

What are you guys going to do now that I'm no longer your fantasy football minor league system?

I think a lot of people are overlooking Lee Evans. Granted I'm biased because of where he's from, but the guy is going ot be a monster. Great speed, good hands. Came back from a devistating injury and put up some good numbers.

Comment

Working...