X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K-tuna
    Groupie
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by if6was9
    As "awesome" as the original version? I think it was turned into "Mean Street" because it wasn't that awesome.

Nope. He's a guitarist who is incidentally playing bass. It's clear if you know anything about bass.

AWESOME, as in... Its sounds like the song should, easily recognizable , they were locked in and its sounded great....like the demo... which is the ONLY thing to compare it to. Or should they awkwardly INCLUDE the "mean street " breakdown part?

Eddie wrote it, I trust him to rework it the way he sees fit.
    Last edited by K-tuna; 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM.
    "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Nope. He's a guitarist who is incidentally playing bass. It's clear if you know anything about bass.
      I know all about it smarty pants. Whether he started out on guitar or not, sounds good so far.

Comment

• K-tuna
        Groupie
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        I know all about it smarty pants. Whether he started out on guitar or not, sounds good so far.

Agreed....this aint the kid that was awkwardly still on stage who looked like he was struggling with bass in 2007-2008.

He looked confident, played in the pocket, and OWNED those songs.
        Yeah, he was playing what Mike wrote , but he played 'em like it was his. I have a funny feeling, if he wrote his own bass lines, it won't be stagnant, repetitive 16th and 32nd note lines over and over again. ( sorry Mike )
        Last edited by K-tuna; 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM.
        "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme

You're about as enjoyable as a chlamydiae flavored popsicle.

Dude, you seriously need a new popsicle cart man if that's a flavor he's offering up.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Hammy5150
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Jan 2012

I don't have any issues whatsoever if VH decided to dust off a few of their songs from their club days to polish up with today's sound. When I first heard those demos long ago, I was actually surprised some of them hadn't made it on to a record as I thought some of them were better than some of the songs that actually did make it on to an album.

I don't have any illusions that I am going to love every song they come up with for this CD. I don't think I have ever bought an album/tape/CD in my life in which I loved every song on it (outside of a greatest hits compilation that is). A few records came very close but I am realistic that I may not love every song that comes out on this CD. What's important to me is they are recording together again and I have faith that EVH, DLR, and Co. are going to create some gems for me to play over and over again.

Comment

• redfire
              Head Fluffer
              • Feb 2004

Ok, if6was9 if you're not encouraged about what you've heard that's fine. But the fact of the matter is, we- the DLR Army and =Vh= fans - have bitched about Ed throwing us anything (specifically reworked demos) for 10+ years. And now he is. And while we don't know if the album will be soley comprised of classic VH tunes, and someone said this earlier, based on Tattoo's snippet, She's the Woman, and the possibility of Bullethead (if you believe melodicrock's leaked album list) we are lead to believe they won't be trying to make music that sounds like someone else. Someone said it earlier, but look at what Crue tried to do when they've recorded with Vince in the past 15 years or so.

No one's telling you not to express your opinion, but don't try to say the rest of us are pretending to feel good about this. Because quite frankly, you don't know what the fuck anyone really thinks.
              Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by K-tuna
                Respectfully, not sure what you are wanting here.

In some posts you seem not to want rehashed old stuff, then you slam the newer stuff Ed did.

We're not in the studio, we don't know what they're thinking, but in the case of " Shes the Woman", its a great riff , but they obviously faced the challenge that there's a part of " mean street" in the original. I know theres a lot of purists here ( don't mean that negatively) , but the fact is, this incarnation is not and never will be the one from the late 1970s.

Ed isn't playing Marshalls, has several incarnations of his own guitars ...he didn't sound like the 1970s brown sound on "5150"nor did he sound like 5150 on "F@CK" when he had his own guitars and Peavey 5150 amp, and he didn't sound like that on " Up for Breakfast" . ' NOW' theres no Mike, Daves older and his voice cracks when he does higher sounding stuff ( although I still crank" Me Wise Magic "because of that cool low growly approach to the lyrics ----works better for him) and Ed has yet ANOTHER version of his Guitar and Amp sound ( just pointing out its never gonna be exactly the same---it just won't).

Its a different Van Halen, I accept it and hope it will rock in its own way. The Cafe' Wha show sure seemed like a step in the right direction.
                And there you go. There is a 25 year gap in the album releases. Thats a long time. There isn't 6 or 7 albums in between to hear the band evolve into what is about to come out. And Mike is gone. Your take says it all. It will not just pick up from 1984 !! Maybe Skyscraper and that was 1988 ! Some of that album could have been new VH at the time. If you think you are getting a 6 pack album you better not buy it !

Comment

• nitroDave23
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2012

Damn, I can't believe someone can complain after all they've been spoiling us with lately....

We're getting everything we basically asked for (minus Michael Anthony)

Tons of media
                  Frequent updates involving Dave
                  New Album
                  New Tour
                  Better Bassist (and don't deny Wolfie kicked ass at Cafe Wha?...he's ready)
                  The band showing signs of actual happiness

Judging the new stuff by low quality videos and 30 second clips is just stupid and ungrateful....so what if it re-worked stuff,that's not a bad thing.Eddie's playing was best back in those times,he needs to deliver riffs like those again.

WE'RE GETTING NEW VAN HALEN DAMN IT!!!! lol

*No you aren't dreaming.... it's for real.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                    Think about it this way. Go into your wardrobe and pull out the clothes you loved wearing in 1982. Squeeze into them, and look at yourself in the mirror. No matter how well you've aged, you'll look ridiculous - if VH tried to sound like they did between 78-84, the result would be ridiculous too.

Trying something a little different with the same ingredients - as 'Tattoo' is trying to - gives me hope. The guys have to age, and so does the music.
                    If you're hoping for the 6-pack, you're gonna be dissapointed.
                    Some people do make sense around here !! But lets no forget those demos were only 7 or 8 years old when Dave left the band !! So I don't have a problem with them using old demo ideas. Fuck it's their band ! And as much as I love the old demos they were never meant to get out in the public anyway.

Comment

• if6was9
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                      And as much as I love the old demos they were never meant to get out in the public anyway.
                      Precisely. Besides, new material based on the wastes from old sessions tells a lot about current state of VH's creativity. I know this is the way Eddie was working for years, but it's kinda sad. I hope the rest of the album will be more original.
                      Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• njbill
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Mar 2006

Cripes some of you guys would complain if Jessica Alba gave you a blow job.

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

precisely. Besides, new material based on the wastes from old sessions tells a lot about current state of vh's creativity. I know this is the way eddie was working for years, but it's kinda sad. I hope the rest of the album will be more original.
                          we're. Getting. A. New. Album.

Go. Choke. On. Your. Own. Dick.
                          Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by njbill
                            Cripes some of you guys would complain if Jessica Alba gave you a blow job.
                            only one guy. believe me 99.9 of the army is for this.
                            Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Little Texan
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by nitroDave23
                              Damn, I can't believe someone can complain after all they've been spoiling us with lately....

We're getting everything we basically asked for (minus Michael Anthony)

Tons of media
                              Frequent updates involving Dave
                              New Album
                              New Tour
                              Better Bassist (and don't deny Wolfie kicked ass at Cafe Wha?...he's ready)
                              The band showing signs of actual happiness

Judging the new stuff by low quality videos and 30 second clips is just stupid and ungrateful....so what if it re-worked stuff,that's not a bad thing.Eddie's playing was best back in those times,he needs to deliver riffs like those again.

WE'RE GETTING NEW VAN HALEN DAMN IT!!!! lol

*No you aren't dreaming.... it's for real.
                              The only one that I've seen complaining so far is a rabid Hagar sheep, and that's only because his cheddar idol isn't screeching about love and all that jive on this VH record.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Apr 2005

Precisely. Besides, new material based on the wastes from old sessions tells a lot about current state of VH's creativity. I know this is the way Eddie was working for years, but it's kinda sad. I hope the rest of the album will be more original.
                                Well I meant the originals. If they want to use those old riffs for new songs I don't have a problem with it. It's their music.

Comment

Working...