X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by sadaist
    Unexpected treat - Free Ride with Edgar Winter. That song kills with Dave singing.
    I'll bet! I'd love to hear that. There's been mention of VH doing that tune in the club days, but I never heard a boot of it. I can envision Dave kicking ass on that one.

Comment

• Headly1984
      Head Fluffer
      • Jul 2011

Seems Dave knows the clock is ticking .. maybe like Robert Plant knows he cannot hit the highs much longer so no more Zepp - but the rest of the band could play all day long

Dave wants to take advantage of his ability while he has it - he wants to do VH now & until he can't any longer & would love to bring MA back for a real reunion - a full tilt boogie

ED - who knows ?? is it drugs, sex ? solitude and his guitar ? If he likes drugs - so what, let him run rails all day long if they keep him going - just stay off the booze .. that seems his Achilles heel

The good thing for all of em, they made a boat load of $ in the last 6 yrs

Dave made some $ too and got notoriety again, he has room to be himself, he isn't a NYC medic or in obscurity - he has a recent record out with VH and 2 tours that paid well in the last 6 yrs - he has said he has been rich and been poor, and he prefers being rich

maybe now he wants to keep the VH machine rolling like Page wants to keep the Led Zep machine rolling, but Plant is a no go for any $$

Hopefully Ed is a no go due to health

Sammy & Dave together - oh please no - I saw Van Hagar and I enjoyed the show because of the band - the singer was an ass on stage and toward his guitarist - he treated the Maserati like a tool

the future of VH seems stale - Ed seems to want to be his own man or get wolf ready to do something bigger than Jason Bonham

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

I can see that the comments about Mike might cause some problems between Dave and Ed, but I just don't think that Dave has been playing third fiddle, or that Wolfgang is the driving force, etc.

Sure, it may have taken Wolf to get Ed into making the album / doing the tour in the first place - but driving force? Creatively? My ass.

I look at ADKOT and I see an album with Roth's lyrics and handwork plastered all over it. A guy that is a payroll singer? Doubt it.

Why did ADKOT end up on Interscope? Answer = because it was what Dave wanted. Look at the credits - all songs written by 'Roth/Van Halen'. Who chose Kool and the Gang to open the tour? Dave.

Before they started recording the album Dave said at some point that he had been going over to Ed's place every day for months and months to work on the album. I think we're reading too much into 'we haven't written a song together for 20 years' and the fact that Dave recorded his parts at Henson Studios.

Remember that it was DAVE who got Ed to use the producer they ended up with, and got him out of 5150 to finish the album off. Ed even said it in one interview - 'It was what Dave wanted'.

Looks to me like Ed has been the one accommodating Dave all along this process, and that without Dave the three Van Halens would still be jamming those tunes up at 5150. AND Ed has paying compliments to his writing ('Dave's amazing'). So c'mon, it is Dave who was the driving force behind even getting an album out.

I think Dave's jazzed because he's living in Tokyo, meeting new people and soaking up all the energy of the place. He's ready to keep moving forward. Ed lives in the Hollywood Hills - a slower pace already, and then add to that Dave being a workaholic / an experience junkie.

I agree entirely with what someone said back near the beginning of this thread - without hearing Dave's voice / audio of the interview with RS there's no way of telling if he is really pissed off. Maybe the journalist has just done as much as he could to slant the written story in a way that will send traffic to Rolling Stone's website.

Yeah 'DLR VENTS' that'll get attention ...
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

very astute observations Mr Scraps....

i still think they're mad if they don't go the aussie tour straight after japan. if japan happens; that is.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            But now that Wolf is playing gigs with people closer to his age, and you cannot fault him for that, maybe this will once and for all allow Mike the opportunity to get his foot back in the Van Halen door....

And I think that Dave's statement's about Mike in RS is DLR picking the lock to that door.....
            I believe that the only way that Mike comes back is if Wolf falls on his sword, deliberately steps aside, and looks Ed in the eyes and says "Dad....you know it's the right thing to do. Give the people what they want."

Wolf is obviously a rabid fan of Classic Van Halen, which is why he stuck his iPod in Ed's ears and convinced him to get back with Dave in the first place.

Perhaps this was all part of some complex 5 year plan on Wolf's part to get the originals back together again. I can just imagine him having a checklist:

1. Get dad sober
            2. Get dad to re-learn all of the CVH catalog
            3. Tell dad it's my dream to play live with him, but only if Dave is the singer
            4. Convince dad to tour
            5. Convince dad that the only thing better than touring with him would be to make a record with him and tour to support it
            6. Tell dad it's been fun, but I want to jam with some other dudes closer to my age and he needs to rebuild the bridge with Mike like he did with Dave
            7. Consider the possibility of having to start back at step 1 and get dad sober again.
            Originally posted by perilouspete
            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Carmine
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

Take from it what you will but Wolf wrote simply "No Comment" on his facebook page last night...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Carmine
                Take from it what you will but Wolf wrote simply "No Comment" on his facebook page last night...
                Of course! He doesn't want to get fired!!

He's already treading on thin ice with that whole "you can't be in two bands" thing....
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• big fatty
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jul 2004

I don't know. Wolfie was the fresh blood that got VH pumping again, and now that Dave mentions Micheal Anthony's name, everyone gets excited and wants to cast Wolfie to the side, after all he did, it just doesnt seem right. Not to mention the simple fact that Wolfie is the boss's son, and by giving props to Mike, without praising Wolfie may cause some static amongst the family.

Sounds to me like Dave may possibly have a contract that needs to be renewed, and Eddie is taking his sweet time deciding what to do and when to do it.

If Dave & Ed have different creative aspirations, they could easily do side projects in addition to VH. I hope it all works out, but seems like another fucking soap opera.

Comment

• Zing!
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Wolfie said something about this before Haggar? I would have bet Vegas odds that the Ched Chunker would have been running his pie-hole by now...
                    Last edited by Zing!; 02-14-2013, 08:46 AM.
                    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                      I'm not sure I follow. Both Ed and my friends mom suffered from an illness and recovered from a surgery. It can take some time.
                      Well, you didn't say that your friend's mom had the same surgery, only the same illness. Still, different people handle symptoms and recoveries quite differently.

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                        I believe that the only way that Mike comes back is if Wolf falls on his sword, deliberately steps aside, and looks Ed in the eyes and says "Dad....you know it's the right thing to do. Give the people what they want."

Wolf is obviously a rabid fan of Classic Van Halen, which is why he stuck his iPod in Ed's ears and convinced him to get back with Dave in the first place.

Perhaps this was all part of some complex 5 year plan on Wolf's part to get the originals back together again. I can just imagine him having a checklist:

1. Get dad sober
                        2. Get dad to re-learn all of the CVH catalog
                        3. Tell dad it's my dream to play live with him, but only if Dave is the singer
                        4. Convince dad to tour
                        5. Convince dad that the only thing better than touring with him would be to make a record with him and tour to support it
                        6. Tell dad it's been fun, but I want to jam with some other dudes closer to my age and he needs to rebuild the bridge with Mike like he did with Dave
                        7. Consider the possibility of having to start back at step 1 and get dad sober again.
                        As long as #8 isn't "Tell dad how much fun it would be to play with that Sarah Jessica Parker lookalike"!

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                          Well, you didn't say that your friend's mom had the same surgery, only the same illness. Still, different people handle symptoms and recoveries quite differently.
                          Especially if you're Edwad Van Hermit...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                            This is the end......my only friend, the end.......
                            Nahhh. Things jus' heating up.

VHND posted a pretty decent dissection of Dave's interview.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Well that plays into my thoughts on what isn't being said...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• private parts
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2007

On a lighter note..The guy still has it!

"But so far there hasn't been any response, so hope and faith are not actual tactics and strategies – they're strippers from Albuquerque."

sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

Working...