• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Matt White
    That's a stretch......

and besides....JUMP is their only #1......so TOO many damn people like/d it!!!

Careful bro, you're starting to morph into "Eddie Trunk Defends Van Hagar" mode....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      Careful bro, you're starting to morph into "Eddie Trunk Defends Van Hagar" mode....
      How dare you?!?

I'm not talking 'bout any Van haggis swill!!!

Maybe sumtin off that MONTROSE cd.......JUMP has that damn keyboard...I'm with DAVE...NO DAMN KEYBOARDS!!!

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

And oh yeah.....

FUCK EDDIE TRUNK!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

I'd drink to that if I still drank...

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Well, Lou makes a good point.

One thing that cannot translate to tape or video is the VIBE of actually being there.

Perhaps that is why Ed is reluctant to release video from back in the day.

There have been almost no concerts I have gone too since 1984 that could rival any CVH concert from 1978-1984. Some bands consistently kick ass, like Iron Maiden. Some shows are transcendent in other ways, like the U2 concert in Nashville in July of 2011.

But the shows I have seen since 1984 have mostly fallen way short of the mark Van Halen set.

Even with Elbow whining about the Sydney performance, it is still way better than a lot of other major acts are capable of.
            Last edited by Hardrock69; 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• envy_me
              Swedish Love Pump
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
              great, she's pullin' flowers outta somewhere back there
              Had them hidden in a condom in an orifice in my body
              The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Hey I didn't mean to address that to you as such it's just the thread itself was getting silly with it's negativity.
                That's cool. Thanks man. I agree with just about everything you're saying in all of this mess, but I think some people are a little more accepting of the 'everyone is a critic' culture brought forth by the web. If someone told me as a 13 year old in 1982 that in 30 years, I'd be holding discussions with people all over the world about my favorite band via a hand held device the size of an empty wallet, I'd say that sounds pretty damn cool. It seems that the toughest thing to embrace about it around here is when these discussions yield opinions that are being past off as facts. I'll admit, that is annoying, but any rational thinker can discern for themselves what's true and what's a bullshit. So we call bullshit. No big deal.

I agree whole heartedly that you can't judge a live performance by a You-Tube clip. It is absurd. I saw an amazing show live with my own eyes last year. The clips from that night don't come close to doing the actual performance any justice. However, it is a sign of the times that must now be accepted, that an audience with a front row seat to their computer screen might have something to say. Good, bad or indifferent. This time around, I saw where Elvis was coming from with regards to expectations. However, I also learned what's expected of a festival headliner. Through all of the heated discussion, good did come of it.

Perhaps, we all just need to lighten up a bit. Familiarity breeds contempt and there has been no short supply of that around here these past few months.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  Fuck off...

I know what I'm saying, and so do others...

You have a knack of taking everything the wrong way...
                  You know what your saying ? Are you a music critic ? Just because you have nothing better to do with your time doesn't mean shit to me. Find something better to do with your time dude ! Nothing has changed about Van Halen since last year. NOTHING ! You could argue that's the problem I guess. Set list wise or whatever. They play what they want, & what Dave want's to sing. Maybe that's why we don't get Light Up The Sky, he can't sing it at all and he knows it. You don't know shit about what goes on behind closed doors ! But because a few people said they sounded like shit (the mix not the band ) you jump on board and stir the pot because that's what you do on the Roth Army. And that's fine, it won't change my life. But you play it up and keep your foot on the floor because you love the attention it stirs up. Just like Kristy did. That's all it is. And hey a lot of us get it, you are way better at it than she was. I give you thanks on a lot of them. I get your jokes. But sometimes you are so over the top it's laughable ! If you don't like the band the way it is these day's don't go see them. Don't watch shitty video's of them on fucking You Tube that really don't deliver ANY sonics of the show unless you are there and act like you watched from the front row. And sure it sucks that Dave can't sing that great anymore. Maybe his ear monitors fuck with him but is to stubborn to lose them because he like's using them. Maybe his voice is finally shot ! He sounded no worse to me than last year. It is what it is. GET OVER IT ! Maybe the guy got lazy ? If that is all it is than maybe he should retire. Then I guess you have a point. I'll take what I can get out of them for a few more years. You fucking make them sound Like a laughing stalk ! Give me a break ! FACT, That band is more professional on a stage now than almost anytime in the 80's ! So their age caught up with a few of them. Big deal ! Go listen to the albums if it's not perfect. I said a page back maybe you should start the Van Halen is over & should retire thread if it's so bad. Van Hagar anyone ? Sounds like it's time ! Shut this place down !
                  Last edited by 78/84 guy; 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                    Don't be busting DB's balls! That is my job!

So if you just explain to me what you are talking about, I will proceed with the aforementioned ball busting!
                    It's really quite simple. We misunderstood one another and condescension was his choice flavor of retort. By all means, continue where he left off. I love being spoken down to. It's how I've come to accept my role in middle management!

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                      You know what your saying ? Are you a music critic ? Just because you have nothing better to do with your time doesn't mean shit to me. Find something better to do with your time dude !
                      Shaddup...

Of course I'm a music critic, I criticize music, don't I ??

I'm not even entertaining the rest of your pointless drivel...

Last edited by ELVIS; 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Matt White
                        the added "WHOA-O-O!!!" makes it for me....I've never heard JUMP since & NOT added that myself....which I'm sure everybody else here does as well!!!
                        That brings back memories of holding a boom box up to the TV when the video came on to get a version of the song on tape with the said "WHOA-O-O!!!" Had ta have it.

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ELVIS

I'm not even entertaining

fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

Figured I'd chime in with my two pennies since there hasn't been any opinions expressed in this thread.

From the handful of Tube vids I've seen, the band sounded good, including Dave. After watching these clips and all the clips from last year, I'm pretty well convinced that Dave had ongoing sinus/throat issues. I didn't really pay attention at first, but as the tour progressed I noticed Dave frequently clearing his throat, even in mid song (along with the lemon sucking and gargling he did in some of the vids). The shouting/over-singing he did certainly didn't help and is all the more puzzling. So, from a technical standpoint, it's good to see Dave sounding better. Why he continues to sing songs like DTNA the way he does is still a mystery. What're you gonna do (other than bitch about it here)?

I thought the Van Halens sounded fine as well. Didn't come across as under rehearsed or anything to me. And really, how much rehearsing do they need to do to get up to speed on the songs they played last tour and/or the old warhorse tunes from their first run with Dave? Like a lot of people, I thought the bass was loud in the mix, but not to the point that I thought it fucked up the overall sound.

As for the setlist, yeah, it was pretty much by the numbers. That was a mild disappointment, but really ended up being a shoulder shrug from me. As an older act, they're pretty much obligated to play certain tunes, but that doesn't mean they can't do a better job of varying the setlist to keep both the casual and die hard fans happy with a bettter mix/order of standards, deep cuts and ADKOT tunes (and for god's sake, PLAY MORE ADKOT TUNES- THEY'RE FUCKING GOOD!! Are you guys somehow unaware of this?).

Thought some of the criticism around here was a tad harsh, but whatever. Band sounded solid to me. Didn't blow my mind, but I liked what I heard.
                            Last edited by chuckjitsu; 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by loucap81
                              Yes but don't you think they might have adjusted what they were doing if social media were around in the '80s? Now some bands like Rush just don't care, they're going to do the exact same setlist every night. VH didn't care about the setlist uniformity in 2007-08 but in a way I didn't either because of the emotional rush of the reunion. Social media totally strips the mystique and naive excitement away from the concert experience but good bands will adjust to that. The positive side is that it keeps a band honest and makes them up their game.

But even before social media times not all were pleased. I've listened to all the available bootlegs as you know, and you can hear hecklers on some of them. Off the top of my head:

1) There's an August 1981 Fair Warning show where before Ice Cream Man when Dave is talking, someone in the crowd goes, "Just play the fucking song!!"

2) There's a Feb. 1984 show where the band screw up Jump and someone goes, "God damn, that's a bad fuck up!"

3) My personal favorite, the April 5, 1984 Detroit show where Dave tells the crowd they're the "rock and roll capital of the world" during the Everybody Wants Some!! rap, and someone goes, "Fuck you, that's what you said in New York last night!" The same guy later goes, "When are you going to play some fucking music!"

Now to your point about the pitfalls of analyzing a recording of a live performance, I will say there were shows that I thought were really good live, only to hear all the warts on the recording later. And it sucks when an impartial, emotionless recording makes me recalculate my feelings about the show. So from that standpoint you're absolutely correct, you really can only judge the technical playing of the band and not whether the complete package was good or whether it sucked.

Judging just the technical playing of the band, however, I thought it was a fine musical performance and it's very clear that Dave is better now than he was last year. And that's the #1 thing that I was looking for since it's the one thing about this band that can't be fixed with more practice or effort. Last year Dave tried like hell to do what it took, he sucked on lemons, he had arenas turn off the A/C, but if his voice didn't want to go, it wasn't going. Let's all be thankful for his voice coming back.
                              Funny you mention the emotionless recording changing your feeling of a show. I watched quite a bit of the last tour on YouTube and I certainly think Dave had his off moments, but I didn't think he was ever off for the great majority of any one show. Then I heard the audio for the Pittsburgh show. It pains me to say it, but Dave was not good that show. I know there can be a big quality discrepancy between live and YouTube, but man I'd never heard anyone sounding better on YouTube than they did live!
                              Last edited by chuckjitsu; 04-24-2013, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• loucap81
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                                Even with Elbow whining about the Sydney performance, it is still way better than a lot of other major acts are capable of.
                                Yup. As far as reasonable facsimiles of the glory days go for these older bands, only Rush pulls it off better IMO.

Comment

Working...