Hair Metal bands that actually ROCKED (opinion war starts NOW!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Winger was certainly pretty lame and pussyfied for most of their output, but in this one case they did something right.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• fraroc
      Commando
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
      Winger was certainly pretty lame and pussyfied for most of their output, but in this one case they did something right.
      No homo or anything, but you gotta admit, Kip Winger is a pretty damn good looking guy. It's no wonder my mother had a MONSTROUS crush on him in the 80s. She dosen't want to admit it, but according to her girlfriends and my dad, she fucking LOVED Kip Winger, even after she and Dad got married.

I even nicknamed him "The Hugh Jackman of Rock n' Roll"
      How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        So Nuno Tenniscourt was straight?

Holy shit!!!
        So were at least two of the members of Queen & the rest of Judas Priest.

Shocking!

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Anonymous
          Banned
          • May 2004

Originally posted by vh rides again
          Brian Johnson isn't .
          What the fuck is people's problem with Brian Johnson?

Who would you rather they had chosen to replace Bon?

Would you prefer that they had ended the band & fuck up their lives just for your own petty, selfish pleasure?

Maybe that way everything would be better with the world & you'd be happy.

Jaysus, the stupidity if some people.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Brian Johnson is alright. Certainly a better replacement singer than Sammy Hagar, for example. And no question that Back in Black was one Hell of an album.

But the weakness of Johnson is that all the albums that followed it were basically retreads of Back in Black. Not that Ac/Dc is the only band who makes the same album over and over - the Ramones did it for 20 years, and they did it very well. But the damned thing is that the 6 albums Ac/Dc recorded with Bon Scott showed a degree of musical evolution. You definitely can hear a difference between what they recorded in 1974 on "High Voltage" and what they did in 1979 on "Highway to Hell".

So it would seem that when they lost Bon, they also lost the ability to expand beyond the formula any further. And that's a sad thing.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Anonymous
              Banned
              • May 2004

You're right. But how right are you?

Who's to say that it wasn't a conscious decision to settle & Brian Johnson had nothing to do with it? There's certainly a difference between Back in Black & For Those About to Rock.

Not only that, but how do you know that even if Bon Scott hadn't dies, they wouldn't settle anyway?

I mean, it's extremely asinine to pile all that on Brian. What you can do & are entitled to, is to have your favourite era, much like with any band, even if there was little line up changes.

But comparing Brian to Bon is unfair, no matter how you slice it.

Now, this is a generic statement, it's not about Brian or Bon specifically. When you compare a dead person to a living one, the dead ALWAYS wins. And many times, the living had nothing to do with it & certainly doesn't need to be continuously reminded he's not as good - even if he is better.

It's bullshit & people should learn to shut the fuck up.

Comment

• Zing!
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by FORD
                So it would seem that when they lost Bon, they also lost the ability to expand beyond the formula any further. And that's a sad thing.
                They should hire Brett Tuggle. He could change their formula.
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                  You're right. But how right are you?

Who's to say that it wasn't a conscious decision to settle & Brian Johnson had nothing to do with it? There's certainly a difference between Back in Black & For Those About to Rock.

Not only that, but how do you know that even if Bon Scott hadn't dies, they wouldn't settle anyway?

I mean, it's extremely asinine to pile all that on Brian. What you can do & are entitled to, is to have your favourite era, much like with any band, even if there was little line up changes.

But comparing Brian to Bon is unfair, no matter how you slice it.

Now, this is a generic statement, it's not about Brian or Bon specifically. When you compare a dead person to a living one, the dead ALWAYS wins. And many times, the living had nothing to do with it & certainly doesn't need to be continuously reminded he's not as good - even if he is better.

It's bullshit & people should learn to shut the fuck up.

Hell if I know man.....

Maybe at least in the beginning with Johnson, it was a case of "well, I'm the new guy here, so I probably shouldn't tell these guys how to make a record." And then later on, that evolved into "why fix it, if it's not broke".

Because, oddly enough, it seemed like Brian's old band Geordie actually did expand their musical range to some extent. I remember hearing one song of theirs which was some sort of reggae thing with some black dude with a Barry White type of voice singing along with Brian...who sounded nothing like his Ac/Dc self here. Can't seem to find it on YouTube, but interesting stuff.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Bon Scott was nothing more than a white trash miscreant low-life. The man was a sociopath, an alcoholic and a uneducated burden to society (not like any of you can relate) but he did sing in a kick ass band for a short time which makes me overlook his fucked up personality.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                      They should hire Brett Tuggle. He could change their formula.
                      I'm trying to imagine the Ac/Dc version of SkyCrapper..... and it's scaring the shit out of me....

"Love Song" is the sappiest thing Ac/Dc ever did. And at least they got that out of the way on their first album!

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Bon Scott was nothing more than a white trash miscreant low-life. The man was a sociopath, an alcoholic and a uneducated burden to society (not like any of you can relate) but he did sing in a kick ass band for a short time which makes me overlook his fucked up personality.
                        Not true, not true & not true.

Keep writing.....your ignorance is astounding

Comment

• vh rides again
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                          What the fuck is people's problem with Brian Johnson?

Who would you rather they had chosen to replace Bon?

Would you prefer that they had ended the band & fuck up their lives just for your own petty, selfish pleasure?

Maybe that way everything would be better with the world & you'd be happy.

Jaysus, the stupidity if some people.

My problem with ac dc is that they haven't wrote 1 good song since the back in black album.

Angus young is so fucking predictable its sickening, I can't stand to listen to him any more.

Brian Johnson's voice sucks, almost as bad as his lyrics.

When back in black came out, it was an amazing album and still is today.
                          I was pretty happy that acdc was able to come back after Bon's death, but to me everything after bib was total shit.
                          Repetitive guitar and shit lyrics.

I seem AC/DC with Bon Scott at the RKO Orpheum theatre in davenport Iowa and at the Rockford speedway jam in Rockford Illinois.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

BON & the Wife

Comment

• Anonymous
                              Banned
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                              Hell if I know man.....

Maybe at least in the beginning with Johnson, it was a case of "well, I'm the new guy here, so I probably shouldn't tell these guys how to make a record." And then later on, that evolved into "why fix it, if it's not broke".

Because, oddly enough, it seemed like Brian's old band Geordie actually did expand their musical range to some extent. I remember hearing one song of theirs which was some sort of reggae thing with some black dude with a Barry White type of voice singing along with Brian...who sounded nothing like his Ac/Dc self here. Can't seem to find it on YouTube, but interesting stuff.
                              Well, there you go.

I also heard some of the pre-AC/DC Brian stuff & I couldn't believe that was the guy who screeched his way to success.

That only helps cement my opinion that if you don't like AC/DC's albums after Bon Scott dies, it's very likely NOT Brain Johnson's fault.

As it is, I like 'em both & I'm very glad Brian Johnson was around & available at that time. They could've done much, much worse, but I don't think they could've done better.

BRIAN JOHNSON RAWKS!

Comment

• Matt White
                                • Jun 2004

No problem with Brian

Read that Australian Bio of Bon Scott & you'll figure out why Brian hasn't written lyrics to an AC/DC tune in ages.....

Cuz he never did..........................

Still...he was the right man for the job....they didn't need anybody imitating Bon............

BACK IN BLACK is the #2 selling recording World Wide........

Comment

Working...