Hair Metal bands that actually ROCKED (opinion war starts NOW!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • So this is love
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

You bet Angus is great! Malcolm great! good hard rock!
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
      What's this talk about Bon Scott's vocal work? He always wailed & yelled, it's not like there was much thought involved.

Certainly no Bruce Dickinson, Michael Kiske or Sebastian Bach.

Don't get me wrong, he had some serious pipes & I wouldn't have him singing any other way, but he was what he was. A more powerful version of Joey Ramone. Who ALSO kicked mucho ass.

But no virtuosity there. Speaking of Ramones, where's Chan?

Cheers! :bottle:
      No Sebastion ? PLEAAAAAASE ! And I love Skid Row. He was horid live. Bon could sing. Very well. And that's one reason I think he was the best. That and his lyrics. I mean it's just straight up rock n roll but his lyrics were never cheesy to me. They were clever and funny. I guess Big Balls was cheesy but no one else could have wrote something that funny. He also didn't live long enough to become a parody of himself ! Like alot of older rock stars seem to be doing these day's.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And now here's two people who had no goddamn clue about anything.....

Anybody remember "Stargard"???

Nope, didn't think so.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And now a little something from the first Ac/Dc bootleg I ever owned......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
            No Sebastion ? PLEAAAAAASE ! And I love Skid Row. He was horid live. Bon could sing. Very well. And that's one reason I think he was the best. That and his lyrics. I mean it's just straight up rock n roll but his lyrics were never cheesy to me. They were clever and funny. I guess Big Balls was cheesy but no one else could have wrote something that funny. He also didn't live long enough to become a parody of himself ! Like alot of older rock stars seem to be doing these day's.
            Hell, even my mom thought "Big Balls" was hilarious, and she pretty much hated Ac/Dc otherwise (along with most of my record collection)
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• 78/84 guy
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2005

My mom came into my room dancing too The Jack about 20 years ago ! My buddy didnt' know what to do. The power of Bon ! Lol.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                Best studio recorded singing by Bon was 'Whole Lot Of Rosie' (their best tune, too)
                You know, it really is ironic for all your bitching about "F A T" people that your favorite Ac/Dc song is the one about a F A T chick.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Isn't it ironic? Don't you think
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                    Isn't it ironic? Don't you think

Yeah, it's like rain on your wedding day...Wait...that's not ironic...IT'S THE FUCKING WEATHER!!!!
                    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Ah the old Ed Byrne bit...

Comment

• gbranton
                        Veteran
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                        So in summary

Hair metal is awesome
                        As usual, I wholeheartedly agree with Dave's Bitch.
                        "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• big fatty
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
                          Have you ever even heard any of Bruce's solo songs?

I can recommend the obvious "Tears of the Dragon", the original "Wicker Man", "...No Way Out, Continued", "Man of Sorrows" - none of those songs sound even remotely like the others - & the entirety of both the "Chemical Wedding" & "Tyranny of Souls" albums. Maybe "Accident of Birth", too.

MUCH better & more imaginative than Maiden ever did.

Cheers! :bottle:
                          Ball's To Picasso wasn't that bad either, especially " Cyclops ", that's a good one.

I liked his cover tunes too. The way he did " The Zoo " kicked ass.

I guess Killers is my favorite Maiden album after all these years. Just love the scorching guitars and bass in " Wrathchild ". Best album cover too.

It's too bad the old producer, Martin Birtch retired, as their classic albums were so good.
                          Last edited by big fatty; 01-22-2013, 03:41 AM. Reason: fix something

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            As the hair metal years were happening, particularly '88 to '90, I gravitated towards a mixed bag of hair. Some for their classic rock sound, some for the cheese and sleeze beasts they'd attract at their shows. I'm sure a vet can tell which provided which:

Love Hate
                            Tesla
                            Badlands
                            Bullet Boys
                            Dangerous Toys
                            Bang Tango
                            Britney Fox
                            Law & Order
                            Xenon
                            American Angel
                            Warrior Soul
                            Cinderella
                            Extreme
                            King's X
                            Lynch Mob
                            Mr. Big
                            White Lion
                            Sea Hags
                            Vain
                            L.A. Guns
                            Enuff Z' Nuff

And probably ten or so others that escape me at the moment.
                            This pretty much sums up the list I'd have compiled. I'm not sure all of those bands are technically 'Hair Metal' (Warrior Soul definitely aren't), but there were around at that time.

Vain continue to make cool records, but their debut was something else. Badland's debut is also an absolute fucking monster of a record.

One band that was around at that time that everyone seems to forget is Salty Dog. Not 'hair', but still an LA band....
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by FORD
                              I seriously thought Poison were chicks until I heard the record. I mean seriously.......

...fucking Boy George looked more like a guy than they did, and he was trying to look like a girl!
                              They should have called it 'Look What The Cat Stepped In'.
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I dunno there is a semblance of something in the first Poison album because it sounds a bit punky or Ramonesesque in places and the legendary Michael Wagner mixed it.

After that I agree it all went horribly horribly wrong, also proving that the thing I liked about the first album was actually accidental...

Comment

Working...