X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ace diamond
    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by binnie
    .For me, the worst kind of religion is one which doesn't allow questioning.
    that would be all of them. which is why i say organised religion is bullshit.

ever try questioning the leaders of these so called "great religions"
    i have. it takes big balls and a total lack of reverence of any kind, as well as one hell of a death wish.

ever want to know what the fastest way to get these kinds of people to
    prove they are hypocrites?
    watch how fast they chase you out,and i hope you can run fast 'cause if they catch you,yer in trouble.

some of these so called christian churches actually tried to kill me. the robbed my house, and destroyed what they did not take. they even hired and sent an assassin to kill me-except i was not home.
    and people wonder why i hate christians and their retarded religion.
    it's all smoke and mirrors.........there's no business like show business!
    because church services is no different than theatre.
    Originally posted by hideyoursheep
    When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
    "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
      Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by jharp84
      Ace - don't be nice now??
      oh hell no.......i'm in a nasty mood!
      no more mr.nice guy.
      me,a nice guy.....yeah right!
      "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
        Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

HAIL SATAN

Comment

• jharp84
          Veteran
          • Mar 2004

Now I understand your position!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ace diamond
            actually,herod was the king of the jews at the time jesus lived,and he was just a puppet king installed by rome. potius pilate was the ruler of israel as roman governor of the region,appointed by caesar.

second,everything i said is fact. do your homework,poser.
            Herod died in 4BC of an infected dick.

Comment

• ace diamond
              Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by jharp84
              Now I understand your position!
              MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE SPLAINED IT SOONER
              oops!

Comment

• ace diamond
                Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Herod died in 4BC of an infected dick.
                either way,jesus was not king of the jews.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Of course that could just mean that the date we use for Christs birth is wrong.

Unfortunately the Gospel of Luke (1:5) states that John the Baptist was at least conceived, if not born, under Herod, and that Christ was conceived while John's mother was in the sixth month of her pregnancy (1:26). Luke's Gospel also states that Christ was born during the reign of Augustus and while Quirinius was the governor of Syria (2:1-2), which started in 6AD.

The 'word of god' seems to be a bit confused as usual...

Comment

• ace diamond
                    Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

big surprise there.one big clusterfuck of fucking bullshit pack of lies as usual.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ace diamond
                      big surprise there.one big clusterfuck of fucking bullshit pack of lies as usual.
                      And I suppose you think Anton LaVey held the keys to all real truth?
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Little Texan
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire

The whole concept of a God is absurd......it is humans' fear of death, nothing more.
                        Exactly! Humans create religion as an attempt to explain the unexplainable, and make themselves feel better about what will happen when they die. It's easier to just say that there is an invisible, imaginary man up in the sky somewhere that created everything and is manning the controls than it is to actually try to come up with an actual explanation for where we and everything else came from and why we're here. It's also more comforting for people to feel that there is a possibility that they will actually go on to an afterlife after they die than to just end up in the cold, hard ground as worm food.

I was brought up in a Christian household, and was forced to go to church as a kid against my will, being told the 'ol "as long as you're living under my roof, you're going to church" bit, which I resent, even to this day. I'm a firm believer that everyone is free to make their own choices in life, and are free to live life however they choose to live it, such as being free from the bonds of organised religion and church. I haven't set foot inside a church for Sunday services in over 12 years, and I haven't missed it one bit to be honest with you. I told my mom last week, who is about as devout a Christian as there ever was, that I don't go to church because I don't want to go, I don't like church, and I never have, and I didn't appreciate being forced to go when I was a kid. You can probably guess how that went over! Then she asked me if I believed in god, in which I gave her my opinion on the subject, and that one really didn't go over well. She was so upset by what I said that she was crying her eyes out when I left, and the night ended with me getting the door shut in my face! I felt really awful about upsetting her like that, and apologized for it, but I don't, and won't apologize for stating my viewpoint and opinion on religious matters. My mom is one of these Christians that is such a crazed believer that she has a closed mind to all differing viewpoints to her own, she won't even listen to the possibility that there isn't a god. I'm not really passionate about the topic either way, and I really don't give a shit about it. I've just done a lot of thinking on the subject over the years and come to the conclusion that Christianity is a fraud, the bible is full of shit, and going to church on Sunday is a monumental waste of time. I have no problem with Christian folks and people that believe in god, and I think alot of them are really nice people...they are free to believe however they wish, no matter how wrong they may be, to each their own. The problem I have is when someone starts trying to shove the shit down my throat and try to make me believe, and try to make me become a Christian, and try to make me go to church. No one is going to make me do ANYTHING I don't want to do...that's just the way I am. They can try all they want, but they'll just be wasting their time. I have much better things to do on Sunday than to waste my time at the sheep pen, er, I mean church, and sing a bunch of stupid hymns and sit through a long, boring church service listening to some blowhard preacher talk about a bunch of bullshit in an old fictional book, you know, better stuff to do like watching a good football game on tv, or doing something outdoors like going hunting, or getting something done that I haven't been able to do during the week, in other words, WHATEVER I DAMN PLEASE! Sorry for the long, rambling, rant of a post, but another of my 2 cents.

Comment

• Little Texan
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Can you tell I'm still a little hostile about being made to go to church when I was little?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Little Texan
                            Exactly! Humans create religion as an attempt to explain the unexplainable, and make themselves feel better about what will happen when they die. It's easier to just say that there is an invisible, imaginary man up in the sky somewhere that created everything and is manning the controls than it is to actually try to come up with an actual explanation for where we and everything else came from and why we're here. It's also more comforting for people to feel that there is a possibility that they will actually go on to an afterlife after they die than to just end up in the cold, hard ground as worm food.

I was brought up in a Christian household, and was forced to go to church as a kid against my will, being told the 'ol "as long as you're living under my roof, you're going to church" bit, which I resent, even to this day. I'm a firm believer that everyone is free to make their own choices in life, and are free to live life however they choose to live it, such as being free from the bonds of organised religion and church. I haven't set foot inside a church for Sunday services in over 12 years, and I haven't missed it one bit to be honest with you. I told my mom last week, who is about as devout a Christian as there ever was, that I don't go to church because I don't want to go, I don't like church, and I never have, and I didn't appreciate being forced to go when I was a kid. You can probably guess how that went over! Then she asked me if I believed in god, in which I gave her my opinion on the subject, and that one really didn't go over well. She was so upset by what I said that she was crying her eyes out when I left, and the night ended with me getting the door shut in my face! I felt really awful about upsetting her like that, and apologized for it, but I don't, and won't apologize for stating my viewpoint and opinion on religious matters. My mom is one of these Christians that is such a crazed believer that she has a closed mind to all differing viewpoints to her own, she won't even listen to the possibility that there isn't a god. I'm not really passionate about the topic either way, and I really don't give a shit about it. I've just done a lot of thinking on the subject over the years and come to the conclusion that Christianity is a fraud, the bible is full of shit, and going to church on Sunday is a monumental waste of time. I have no problem with Christian folks and people that believe in god, and I think alot of them are really nice people...they are free to believe however they wish, no matter how wrong they may be, to each their own. The problem I have is when someone starts trying to shove the shit down my throat and try to make me believe, and try to make me become a Christian, and try to make me go to church. No one is going to make me do ANYTHING I don't want to do...that's just the way I am. They can try all they want, but they'll just be wasting their time. I have much better things to do on Sunday than to waste my time at the sheep pen, er, I mean church, and sing a bunch of stupid hymns and sit through a long, boring church service listening to some blowhard preacher talk about a bunch of bullshit in an old fictional book, you know, better stuff to do like watching a good football game on tv, or doing something outdoors like going hunting, or getting something done that I haven't been able to do during the week, in other words, WHATEVER I DAMN PLEASE! Sorry for the long, rambling, rant of a post, but another of my 2 cents.
                            There are of course a huge amount of lovely great people we all love who are Christians.

The thing that I was alluding to earlier in this thread and similar to your story with your mum and I've had with my folks is that churchgoing seems to be habitual more than anything else. Put the 'life the universe and everything' thing in a little box and forget about it otherwise it's too troubling.

I wasn't from a particularly religious family by US standards, I had to go to sunday school/church until I was old enough to say no, my Dad didn't go my mum did go most weeks.

It was never really on my radar at all for about 15 years but as I got older over the last few years I went back and had a really good look at it with an initially open mind resulting in a lot of threads and posts here.

The thing that I'm struck by most is that there are all these millions of people that never take a step back and look at it.

Christianity is the bible. There isn't really anything else.

You have a book which is 'the word of god' or whatever and people go to church and passages are read from it and the preacher guy does a talk where he talks about some issue and then tries to tie it into stuff written in this book and people sing some songs based on selected bits of the book. Then you have bible study groups through the week where people read in more detail about stuff in this book.

People do this for for an hour or 2 or more per week depending on their dedication for year after year. Someone like your mum or mine may now have spent as a minimum 2 hours X 50 Weeks X 50 years or 3000 hours doing this and at no point thought 'Where the fuck did this book come from? Who wrote it? When was it written? Who chose what was in the book? What proof is there of the stuff in this book? Does it tie up with the extensive historical documents the Romans have left us? Why doesn't it fit with our scientific knowledge?'

And so on.

I had a 10 minute chat with my mum similar to the one you describe and to be honest I think I really shook her faith a lot. It was odd because I felt bad about it afterwards for some reason. I think it was because it was like kicking a crutch away from her. It was a pointless crutch in a way but who wants to kick a crutch away from your mum?

I blame the church leaders. I think they go off to learn to be ministers or priests and are taught implicitly or subconsciously never ever to raise any of that shit because it brings the whole house of cards down.

Cheers!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-31-2007, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• jharp84
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

I ain't gonna "touch this shit"!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's like walking under a ladder isn't it?

I remember thinking 'You're pushing your luck now Sesh' whilst reading the God Delusion book on a prop plane during a violent storm.

Superstition...

Comment

Working...