Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

The episode of After The Catch featuring Captain Derrick Ray mentioned above will air this evening on Discovery Channel. According to the tv listing, Captain Phil Harris will be discussed as well. Wow, what a surprise.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

This season of "Catch" has defintely had a different feel to it. While I don't think it's been a total bomb, it certainly feels much more contrived and that the drama is being manufactured.

The new boats are (Seabrooke and Ramblin' Rose) have so far failed to bring anything significant to the table...unless you like watching Greenhorns fail.

But nothing has lived up to its billing. I remember reading in TV Guide before the season started that the "Ramblin' Rose" was going to be the "party boat" full of "young, frat guy types" that were going to drink hard and party harder, and get into all sorts of trouble. I have not seen that yet....nor do I think I will.

I dunno....I still find the show interesting from the crabbing perspective because of how brutal the job it and how fascinating it is to watch. But the personalities have started to become annoying....

And come to think of it, they haven't mentioned a single word about Jake Anderson's (Northwestern) missing father.....which was a big storyline at the end of last season.
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
        Spoiler Alert: If you'd rather NOT know about an upcoming merger of two Discovery Channel shows, then DO NOT click on the following links:

Merger

Youtube
        I had heard about this "crossover" episode (which i won't be specific about in case anyone didn't hear about it and didn't click the links to avoid a spoiler)...

But this is ridiculous. Suffice it to say that the parties involved in all of this are probably amongst the biggest, loudmouthed attention whores in Discovery's reality-show biz. I have a feeling that this particular "episode" is going to be incredibly annoying and will be nothing more than a competition of tough-guy posturing and antics in which everyone will come out looking like a loser.
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

As predicted, the After The Catch show was fairly dismal. After opening with yet another rehash of Phil's death that brought on an appearance by Phil's sons, the estranged Captain Derrick showed up, immediately getting into a bleep-filled segment of threats and insults with Josh Harris. Instead of anything being resolved, both the Harris brothers and Derrick walked off the set. In order to fill this gap, one of the show's camera men was brought in and interviewed, along with that mealy-mouthed doofus that captains the Ramblin' Rose (Elliott Neese). After listening to him whine about things for a while, I'd had enough and switched the channel.

Christ, what a convoluted waste of time this show has become.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

As predicted, the After The Catch show was fairly dismal. After opening with yet another rehash of Phil's death that brought on an appearance by Phil's sons, the estranged Captain Derrick showed up, immediately getting into a bleep-filled segment of threats and insults with Josh Harris. Instead of anything being resolved, both the Harris brothers and Derrick walked off the set. In order to fill this gap, one of the show's camera men was brought in and interviewed, along with that mealy-mouthed doofus that captains the Ramblin' Rose (Elliott Neese). After listening to him whine about things for a while, I'd had enough and switched the channel.

I am a little behind on the new stuff. Last I saw the Harris kid walked off the boat and got on a plane. Then they had a new captain for opie season. That's the last I saw I think.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
              I am a little behind on the new stuff. Last I saw the Harris kid walked off the boat and got on a plane. Then they had a new captain for opie season. That's the last I saw I think.
              This will get you up to speed: Jake Harris returned, passed another drug test and the Cornelia went to sea minus Freddie (who, needing a steady paycheck, went to work on the Wizard) and Steve (no word on him). Edgar quit the Northwestern, which left port without him. Some of the worst weather in recent history messes up the fishing for everyone, and a few people got injured in the chaos. Seriously, that's about it.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I told my wife a year ago these reality shows were getting so dumb that the next thing they would do is show dudes mining coal. I'm channel surfing a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe it. They had a coal mine reality show. Anyways I'm predicting they will do a show on proctologists next.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I told my wife a year ago these reality shows were getting so dumb that the next thing they would do is show dudes mining coal. I'm channel surfing a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe it. They had a coal mine reality show. Anyways I'm predicting they will do a show on proctologists next.
                  Considering all the attention the Chilean miners' story received last year, that was hardly going out on a limb. As for a show about things being shoved up people's asses, Jackass on MTV has been doing that for years.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    couldn't have predicted a female body painting show or a t&a restaurant (hooters, tilted kilt, etc.) show? c'mon nitro.
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

This will get you up to speed: Jake Harris returned, passed another drug test and the Cornelia went to sea minus Freddie (who, needing a steady paycheck, went to work on the Wizard) and Steve (no word on him). Edgar quit the Northwestern, which left port without him. Some of the worst weather in recent history messes up the fishing for everyone, and a few people got injured in the chaos. Seriously, that's about it.
                      Spot on, Chef...as usual.

Damn...what does it say about the excitement level of a show when 3 or 4 hours of programming can be summed up in 3 brief sentences?

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Y'know what the sad thing is? There are probably some clueless suits at Discovery Channel who are licking their chops and think that this nonsense is actually "compelling television."

The whole "Derrick Ray vs. Harris brothers" bullshit was ridiculous, and they brought it on themselves. I believe the following is true (if anybody cares):

1. Derrick was set up to fail because he was the first "post-Phil" Captain and was not going to get out of that shadow.
                        2. Derrick was also set up to fail because they decided to go after the fucking BLUE crab...which is notoriously hard to find and difficult to catch in large quantities. Why the fuck would you do that on your first trip out after the loss of the "beloved Capt. Phil?"
                        3. Jake Harris is a lazy, immature junkie who will go back to his old ways before too long.
                        4. Josh Harris, who I always credited as being the "smarter, more savvy Harris brother" is apparently not the man I thought he was, if he's willing to battle the Captain and compromise crew and boat safety by covering for his douchebag brother.

Derrick Ray may have his shortcomings, and I haven't seen the "After the Catch" episode yet to judge for myself. But I think he was put in a no-win situation, the outcome of which was known before they even left Dutch.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

The thing is, Ray claims to have known all along that he was being set up. If that is the case, why did he remain there? He certainly seemed to love the cameras while things were going on, enough so that he agreed to come on the ATC show months after things went sour. And what does he do? Rather than portraying his side of the story, he throws around a bunch of threats and storms off the set. Wanna bet a camera crew follows him onto his next boat in the coming season?

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I watched a DVR episode last night. It was kinda cool. That storm was kicking the shit out of the fleet.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                              I watched a DVR episode last night. It was kinda cool. That storm was kicking the shit out of the fleet.
                              I watched my DVR episode last night too!

Ya gotta throw some props at Captain Keith and his fish hook sutures.

And you're right about the storm. I don't think I've ever seen Sig Hansen panic like he did at one point last night. He misses having Edgar to hold things down on the deck.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                                Y'know what the sad thing is? There are probably some clueless suits at Discovery Channel who are licking their chops and think that this nonsense is actually "compelling television."

The whole "Derrick Ray vs. Harris brothers" bullshit was ridiculous, and they brought it on themselves. I believe the following is true (if anybody cares):

1. Derrick was set up to fail because he was the first "post-Phil" Captain and was not going to get out of that shadow.
                                2. Derrick was also set up to fail because they decided to go after the fucking BLUE crab...which is notoriously hard to find and difficult to catch in large quantities. Why the fuck would you do that on your first trip out after the loss of the "beloved Capt. Phil?"
                                3. Jake Harris is a lazy, immature junkie who will go back to his old ways before too long.
                                4. Josh Harris, who I always credited as being the "smarter, more savvy Harris brother" is apparently not the man I thought he was, if he's willing to battle the Captain and compromise crew and boat safety by covering for his douchebag brother.

Derrick Ray may have his shortcomings, and I haven't seen the "After the Catch" episode yet to judge for myself. But I think he was put in a no-win situation, the outcome of which was known before they even left Dutch.
                                Good post man. My reaction was similar to yours. I thought the responses of some of the other boat captains (Sig and Keith in particular) were pretty telling. Although they didn't come right out and say it, it was pretty clear that they were siding with Ray on the whole deal. Perhaps not surprising since they are captains themselves, but it was still interesting.

About the blue crab - there was some discussion about quotas which left me with the conclusion that they didn't have enough quota to fish for red king crab, so their only realistic option was to fish for blue crab. I don't really understand how that works.
                                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                                Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...