Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Do you think that when they get an erection they refer to it as "Norwegian Wood?"
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Discovery sues Deadliest Catch duo for $3 million

By Eriq Gardner Mon Sep 20, 11:50 PM PDT

Most reality TV producers follow a simple format: Capture what happens, and then have cast-members fill in story gaps with voice-overs and cutaways. But what to do when reality TV stars jump ship before sitting down for the required interviews?

Sue them, of course.

Discovery is seeking $3 million in damages after two stars of "Deadliest Catch," Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand, allegedly failed to live up to an agreement to complete a spin-off project.

According to the breach-of-contract lawsuit, filed last week in Maryland Circuit Court, the Hillstrands were to film a one-time special called "Hillstranded." The duo was coming off five seasons of "Deadliest Catch," one of the most popular programs on any Discovery-affiliated network. The special was to document the team's various adventures in Alaska; work unrelated to their jobs as crab fisherman. Two weeks of principal photography was shot in June, but there was still work to do.

"The Hillstrand Defendants determined that they would reverse course, dishonor their promises, and refuse to render the services necessary to complete 'Hillstranded,'" reads the complaint.

At the end of August, Discovery allegedly called the brothers to confirm a date, time and location for them to sit for interviews. The complaint says the only response was an e-mail from a lawyer for the brothers informing producers that they shouldn't attempt any further contact with them.

Discovery argues that the failure by Hillstrands to complete work has caused production on the show to remain uncompleted. The company says that the show would have earned significant ratings and that it has suffered substantial losses as a result.

The Hillstrands' lawyer likened the lawsuit to extortion, and said it might even force his clients to sell their boats and fire their crews. He also took aim at the network's well-paid top executive.

"The recent actions of Discovery Communications are an astonishing and shameful instance of arrogance and greed run amok," attorney Jeff Cohen said in a statement.

"While CEO David Zaslav reaps a $33.9 million bonanza in a single day in January 2010, his company attempts to bankrupt hardworking fishermen. Three million dollars is exponentially greater than any compensation ever paid to the 'Deadliest Catch' captains, and yet this is the figure Discovery is trying to extort from these men.

"Isn't there enough unemployment in America without forcing hard-working sea captains to declare bankruptcy, sell their boats and fire their crews?," he asked.

He also referenced the death earlier this year of Captain Phil Harris, which was chronicled by the show.

"Discovery is a multi-billion dollar corporation making hundreds of millions of dollars from broadcasting the dangerous exploits of our clients. In light of all the tragedy witnessed by Captain Sig (Hansen), Capt. John and Capt. Andy this year, why can't Discovery let these working men move on with their lives?"

YAHOO TV

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Someone at the Discovery Channel needs to look at the big picture. This is a PR disaster.
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

It really is absurd. The channel spends the best part of a season portraying Jon Hillstrand as one of the most noble fellows in the recorded history of reality television, then turns around and attempts to tarnish the very same guy in a senseless act of retribution. If anything, the lawsuit makes the Hillstrands appear to be more sympathetic characters. The more cynical amongst us might wonder if this isn't part of the network's plan in the first place.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

PR nightmare indeed... coming off the Capt Phil saga... this could sink Discovery quicker than artic storm.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

And it gets worse...

Deadliest Catch Captains, Including Sig, Quit the Show Over Lawsuit

Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand have bigger fish to fry now.

The Deadliest Catch stars and captains of the deep-sea power scow Time Bandit, announced Tuesday (9/28) that they're leaving the hit series after being sued for breach-of-contract by the Discovery Channel.

And they're taking fan favorite Sig Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, along with them.

"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in Deadliest Catch," the three crab fishermen said in a joint written statement, first obtained by the Hollywood Reporter.

"It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive Catch fans we have met over the years."

In response to the lawsuit, Hansen said, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent."

Discovery says, meanwhile, that its announcement on the status of all three captains is forthcoming.

The network sued the Hillstrand brothers for $3 million, claiming they failed to come through on their promise to shoot a spin-off special, Hillstranded. Cameras rolled during business hours, but Discovery says the crab catchers didn't make time to record voiceovers and otherwise take part in what was needed to round out the production.

Production on season seven of Deadliest Catch is scheduled to start early next month, the beginning of crab season.

While there was obviously a red sky at morning situation as far as the Hillstrands were concerned, Hansen's departure is more of a surprise, despite his statement of solidarity.

The show's sixth season was memorably rocked by the death of Cornelia Marie Capt. Phil Harris.

Read more: http://comcast.eonline.com/uberblog/...#ixzz10vgaACHP
              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Appropriate that a show about life on the sea has now jumped the shark.

Even if this whole thing gets settled and the Hillstrand and Hansen brothers return, the show now looks completely superficial and more about contract obligations than crab fishing.

This kind of thing takes the shine off of a jewel REAL quick...

Comment

• Jagermeister
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                  Appropriate that a show about life on the sea has now jumped the shark.

Even if this whole thing gets settled and the Hillstrand and Hansen brothers return, the show now looks completely superficial and more about contract obligations than crab fishing.

This kind of thing takes the shine off of a jewel REAL quick...
                  You have to wonder if Discovery even cares at this point. It would be hard to top last season IMO. You can only watch so many crab being caught before that shit gets old. How can they top the drama of last season? I don't know I think it's a dead show at this point.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

It really seems like Karma. Discovery milked a man's death and exploited the grief and misery of his friends and family for what is essentially, a reality based tv show. Then to compound things, the channel inexplicably sued the very people it was exploiting. What's next, coming after the audience for viewing the show in the first place?

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

LOL these stupid fuckers bathed themselves in crab guts and bloody fish shit for 5 years on camera, then get sued for 3 million for not sitting down to talk about it?

What more is there to say? "I'm the stupid fucker who bathed daily in bloody fish shit for 22 hours a day with no sleep, yup that's me." or "oh, my - I felt so bloody full of fucking crab lips and fish snatch on that one.. yeah, I remember on this one episode I took my boots off for the shower and they too were filled with octopus guts and seaweed."

These are stupid people living stupid lives. I'm surprised the Mexicans haven't made it up there yet to take their jobs!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        It really seems like Karma. Discovery milked a man's death and exploited the grief and misery of his friends and family for what is essentially, a reality based tv show. Then to compound things, the channel inexplicably sued the very people it was exploiting. What's next, coming after the audience for viewing the show in the first place?
                        I stopped watching Discover because of it's obvious exploitation of Captain Phil's Death. A friend of my wife was on some reality show and she said the contract was 500 pages long. People basically sign their lives away to be on the things and that is why you have cameras in your face while your dad is dying and you are fighting with your brother over his drug addiction. Cameras don't belong there but of course that was the last thing on the family's mind when they signed the contract. Captain Phil dying was more valuable to Discovery ratings than when the dude was alive. I find reality TV tasteless and I wipe my ass with it. Fuck the vultures and that is what they are.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GAR
                          These are stupid people living stupid lives. I'm surprised the Mexicans haven't made it up there yet to take their jobs!
                          how does it go? pot meet kettle?
                          Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Pete, I'm not a Mexican but I like throwing trash on the freeway at 'em for driving so fucking slow..

So I could probably be a good one if I tried huh..

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                              Like Sig and Edgar always say...

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the NORWEGIAN way."

Sounds like you experienced that shit first hand!
                              Yup. My dad and uncle used to say you can tell a Norwegian but you can't tell them much. There is a very stubborn get the fuck out of my way thing going and the older and more experienced you are the more authority you have. Dad is king and then the oldest brother. Mom is Queen of the house but in the family business there's the pecking order. Much like an Italian family without all the hugging and kissing. More like work hard all day, eat a big meal and fuck Helga like a jack hammer.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• chefcraig
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                                how does it go? pot meet kettle?
                                Ignore this crap, will you? Some stuff isn't worth responding to, let alone reading in the first place. And considering the thread's subject matter, don't allow things be derailed over it.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...