X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

tears were shed.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• thome
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Mar 2005

How cool would it have been to be down at some such bike rally and have a beer with Phil.

Those Bird Houses he built (I had read about them at the Deadliest catch forum) I thought cool nice off season craft to keep you busy..Did you see those things..!! Like 500 parts porch porch swing interior fireplace with little crafted fireplace logs JEEZ!! logs WTF!!!

I bet they had little hobby store motor, ceiling fans..LOL!!

I figured they were Bill W Rehab popsicle stick bird houses.

Cool Cat. RIP

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
        Next week is a two-hour episode devoted to Harris. If the episodes leading up to this have seemed grim, I can barely imagine how traumatic and hard to watch this "special" will turn out.
        I was expecting a 2-hour episode too, but it was only 1 yesterday. I think maybe next week is the 2-hour episode.

The more I learn about him, the more I like that Johnathan Hilstrand guy. Full of life, energy and humor, but also wears his emotions on his sleeve.
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
          I was expecting a 2-hour episode too, but it was only 1 yesterday. I think maybe next week is the 2-hour episode.

The more I learn about him, the more I like that Johnathan Hilstrand guy. Full of life, energy and humor, but also wears his emotions on his sleeve.
          I was surprised as well, considering Discovery had promoted the episode as Phil's last, and specifically stated it was to run two hours. Even so, the final five minutes of the show were some of the most urgent film making ever offered on a tv series, with the storm impacting the fleet being juxtaposed against Harris' final moments. It was simply stunning, and left me speechless. I literally sat there staring at the screen well after the credits had run, and it did not even register with me that After The Catch was well under way when I snapped out of the stupor. I immediately wanted to post what I'd seen, but that would not have been right for people in other time zones, and regardless, even now words fail me.

One can only imagine what it must be like for those close to the man, who have been forced to relive this drama again and again since February. And I agree, Johnathan Hilstrand's support for Harris and his sons was nothing short of heroic. His harsh words of advice said exactly what was needed, and we all should be worthy of having a fellow like him as a friend.
          Last edited by chefcraig; 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

I agree that those last five minutes were excellent, and difficult to watch. I actually met Phil Harris by chance one day a couple of years ago at Fisherman's Terminal here in Seattle. My wife and I went down there on a whim to see if we could see some of the Deadliest Catch crab boats (we did - we saw the Northwestern and the Wizard, and one or two boats from the first couple of seasons that I can't remember now), and there was some local radio promotion that day and a few of the crab boat regulars were there. I am still amazed at how it sometimes feels like we know these people personally when we really do not know them at all. All I did was shake his hand, but I still got the feeling that he was a guy with a big heart, just like he is portrayed on the show.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Igosplut
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark

For you and Chefcraig..

I put this on the first page, but the links dead for some reason. If you didn't see it the first time, the Hillstrand brothers wrote a book. Great read, about 230 pages. I read it in two sittings, you'll not want to put it down.

Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs

In their own words telling about growing up to present day. I highly recommend it...
              Last edited by Igosplut; 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM. Reason: HTML suckaroooooo...
              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Thanks Igo, I will definitely check that out.
                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Yep, it's on order for us as well as of 5 minutes ago.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Last night was a tuff show.

It contained a message for Van Halen. When the camera man came on After the Catch he said Phill really wanted him to film the hospital stuff. The guy said Phil said come on man you have to have a beginning a middle and an end.Hmmm.

Comment

• Igosplut
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Your welcome guys, You'll love it.

I have a download of the show that I'll watch tonight...
                      Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                        Last night was a tuff show.

Fuckin A it was. Seeing Phil there with his skull missing and malformed, while his punk ass kids were trying to see who was the toughest. Never liked the kids. Always loved Phil. Just a sad poor soul who wanted his lucky chain Enough to make you tear up. I am glad that it appeared he had some great closing words with his sons, rather than them holding on to the final arguments they had with him.

Rough show indeed.

I find myself wondering how I get so emotionally attached to people I have never met. We all do it with our rock stars (Dave). It really is an odd phenomena.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Captain Phil Harris' final 'Deadliest Catch' episode sets records

Captain Phil Harris died on Tuesday night's episode of "Deadliest Catch" and 8.5 million people tuned in to see how Discovery and the show's producers handled this delicate matter.

That's not just a record audience for the series, but it also made the episode the third-most-watched telecast in Discovery history -- behind "Raising the Mammoth" and "Walking With Dinosaurs," which both aired in 2000.

I know I'm still thinking about Josh Harris' sad call to his brother, Jake, in rehab to let him know their father had passed away. That the Cornelia Marie captain died Feb. 9 seemed an especially cruel turn of fate, since it appeared his health was improving. Viewers had just seen the beautiful goodbye scene with Josh and his father: Captain Phil kissed his hand and put it to his son's face, and then Josh leaned down and kissed his father's forehead.

Josh Harris wasn't expecting that to be their final goodbye, but it was. And it was the viewers' final goodbye too. After Josh left, the cameras showed Captain Harris staring out the window at a beautiful view of Anchorage, and that was it.

Whatever new health crisis erupted, viewers didn't see it. We just saw Josh Harris reacting to the news of it, returning to the hospital, praying for his father, and then his phone call to Jake.

It was incredibly moving and, considering that this had never happened on a reality show before, executive producer Thom Beers should be commended for his respectful treatment of the Harris family and his viewers.

Discovery will air a two-hour tribute to the famous fisherman next Tuesday at 9 p.m.

You can watch the last seven minutes of Tuesday night's episode, "Redemption Day" below:

(A bit of warning, this is hard to take, even though as stated before this is some remarkable footage, filmed in a masterful way. There is a compelling cross fade, which shows a soaked, freezing deckhand assuming a pose that dissolves into that of a statue in front of Phil's hospital in Providence. The use of Johnny Cash's cover of the Cheryl Crow tune "Redemption Day" only drives home the sense of loss, as does the unforgettable final shot of a ship disappearing at sea.)

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

'Deadliest Catch': Josh Harris shares memories of dad, Capt. Phil Harris

In "Redemption Day," the Tuesday, July 13, episode of Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch," viewers hear the sad news of the death of 53-year-old F/V Cornelia Marie Capt. Phil Harris, an event that actually took place in early February.

Fans saw Harris suffer a stroke in port after coming in from opilio-crab fishing in Alaska's Bering Sea. They saw him flown to a hospital in Anchorage, where deckhand sons Josh and Jake alternated between tending to their father and battling each other, while close family friend and fellow Capt. Johnathan Hillstrand has dealt with his own emotions while trying to keep the peace between the siblings.

Sitting together over dual plates of roasted lobster and French fries before heading off to tape an appearance on NBC's "The Tonight Show," Josh Harris and Hillstrand recall those long days in the hospital.

"I tell you right now," Harris says. "I would not have held together [without Hillstrand]. I would not have held together if not for this guy."

Luckily for the Harris sons (FYI, since many have wondered, Harris says their mother comes from Okinawa), Hillstrand had, only hours earlier, left his family boat, the F/V Time Bandit, in the hands of his brother, Capt. Andy Hillstrand, and decided to go off for some warm-water fishing.

"My vacation didn't turn out how I planned at all," he says.

"If it wasn't for John being there," says Harris, "I would have lost it. I can't tell you how many nights I didn't know what to do. I was so scared and confused, everything. I go to John. John is my best friend and my brother, family member, dad. That's why, when I got into a fight with Jake, that's who I'd go to."

Not long before Phil Harris went to the hospital, he caught younger son Jake stealing the pain medication he took for his back. Jake Harris then confessed that he was a drug addict.

Following his father's death but long before this episode aired, fans knew something was wrong, when Jake Harris was arrested for DUI in his home state of Washington.

Asked how he's doing now, Josh Harris says, "Jake is doing a lot better. He hit the wall, as we all saw on the news, and now he's doing really good. We've got a lot of responsibility that we've stepped into.

"He made a promise to my dad -- we both did -- so we've had to grow up a lot. Now, responsibility's kicking into play, and we're going to take this and run with it, do what my dad would have wanted us to do."

As happens with many deaths, Josh Harris is dealing with issues related to his father's estate, which includes several companies, ranging from coffee to merchandising, along with the F/V Cornelia Marie herself.

"We're doing what we can," Harris says. "My dad's estate, we've got a lot of s*** to clean up there, because people are coming out of the woodwork, saying they're heirs."

It's Harris' goal to get the boat back in the water, starting with raising the approximately $2 million needed to buy the boat outright from his father's partner, Cornelia Marie Devlin.

"We've got to wait for a couple things with the estate to clear," Harris says, "so [the boat] can be taken out of the estate. That's what pissed me off about the blogs and s***, people saying I'm flying around the world, spending all my dad's money and having a good time, just getting f***ed up, and that's not the case. It p***es me off.

"Let me make a point of saying, that's not the case. I'm doing everything I can. I've got companies to run, now that my dad's gone."

After all, "Deadliest Catch" may be a TV show, but the industry it portrays is real, and if the Cornelia Marie remains in drydock, many people are going to be hurt.

"I gotta do what's right," Harris says. "The bottom line is, we've got families, kids, that are involved. Everybody's looking to me, 'Do we have a job? Is the boat going fishing?' This is real life. If they don't have a job, it's not like they can go get one right now. All the boats are full. Their families will not eat; they will lose their homes.

"That's the thing -- I've got to step up. My brother, he's just getting back to himself. I really think now he's got to step up, be a man and really think. He's going to nail it. He really needs to. He doesn't have a choice. Dad's not there."

"All you can do is love your brother, man," says Hillstrand. "You can't make him do anything."

"But he's got the mentality now," Haris says, "I think and hope. We always used to be able to talk to our dad, 'Help us out. We're in trouble.' Whenever we had a question, 'Dad, what do we do? What would you do?' Now, we just got each other and the Hillstrands."

"I'd like to tell you something," Hillstrand says to Harris. "If they don't get the boat back together, then we have a spot for you. No matter what happens, we have a spot for you."

"I appreciate that," says Harris.

Harris relates a story about how his father would call in the wee hours of the morning, suggesting the two head out for a ride -- then reveal he was already in Josh Harris' driveway, ready to go.

"He was a joker like that," Harris says, "and people loved him. He was the dog at the pound that you saw, and you knew that he was bad news, and you took him home anyway.

"That was my dad, and that's the only way I can explain it that makes any sense to me. People loved and respected him because of that, because he was real. They knew that was harmless."

The conversation turns to lighter subjects at one point, and the MTV reality hit "Jersey Shore" comes up, prompting Harris to say, "What's up with the 'Jersey Shore' clowns? The Situation? That f***ing guy. He's a trip. I want to put those guys on a boat for three days."

But inevitably talk returns to the strange experience for Harris and Hillstrand of watching one of the most dramatic events of their personal lives played out for millions of TV viewers.

"I did a lot of leaking," says Hillstrand.

"The gift is also a curse," says Harris. "You take something that was so important in your last moments, always wondering if you said the right things, if you got everything out. I remember a lot of it, but now that I'm seeing it, as hard as it is to watch it, it's comforting to know that I did everything I could.

"My biggest regret is he never gets to see his grandchildren on this Earth. Maybe there is a heaven, maybe there is a hell. Hopefully we'll all go to a good place..."

"I believe there is," Hillstrand says.

"I want to believe that as much as possible," says Harris. "My dad was my best friend; he was my hero."

"He'd like to pinch you," Hillstrand says, reaching over to give Harris a pinch on the left bicep, "right here, right now."

"I know," says Harris, rubbing his arm. "That was a good one. You got me good. That was a light pinch, but it hurts. My dad used to get me all the time. He'd call them horse bites."

"He'd want me to do that to you," says Hillstrand, "If you say there's no heaven or hell."

"Deadliest Catch: Redemption Day" airs at 9 p.m. ET, followed by "The Good Captain Phil," the season finale episode of the companion roundtable show, "After the Catch." Shot this season in New Orleans, it includes footage of a traditional jazz funeral service held for the captain.

Two episodes air July 20, a regular installment that follows news of Harris' fate through the fleet, and a special tribute to the Captain featuring memorable moments and footage of his public memorial in Seattle, and of fan remembrances from the second annual CatchCon convention, also in Seattle.

The season finale airs on July 27, as the opilio crab season comes to an end.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Good stuff. Thanks for posting that, craig.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• Full Bug
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Anyone watch Tuesdays episode? Man parts of that were tough to watch, like when the Northwestern pulled out past Phil's boat, or when Keith rang the bell and dropped the pot full of crab into the sea so Phil would always have a full pot to come back to....
                                Andy and his crew setting off the fireworks was a nice touch too, my hats off to Discovery channel for the classy way they have shown this whole thing, a shame almost every other reality tv show wouldnt learn a thing or two from this show, thats the way its done.....The tribute show to Phil was awesome as well....
                                Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

Working...