Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

i watched it tonite. jeez, tear jerker fo sho.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

I couldn't get through it, nor the tribute to Phil's life. It's not that I was emotionally overwhelmed by it all, it's just that the way Discovery has overdone the thing has left me worn out and somewhat sickened from it. I'm sorry, a full season of mourning the man and tuning into it each week has been way too much like an exercise in masochism, if not outright exploitation. Yes, I feel absolutely awful about Phil's final days and the impact it has had upon his family and friends. The truth is, I did not not need a television network cramming it down my throat week after week, just so it could make commercials lauding how it has the highest rated show on Tuesdays.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

i told some friends that about great ratings over a horrible situation, and was a bit upset about it. his portrait on the gas tank was very good and cemented that part of his life he enjoyed so much when off the boat.
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
          I couldn't get through it, nor the tribute to Phil's life. It's not that I was emotionally overwhelmed by it all, it's just that the way Discovery has overdone the thing has left me worn out and somewhat sickened from it. I'm sorry, a full season of mourning the man and tuning into it each week has been way too much like an exercise in masochism, if not outright exploitation. Yes, I feel absolutely awful about Phil's final days and the impact it has had upon his family and friends. The truth is, I did not not need a television network cramming it down my throat week after week, just so it could make commercials lauding how it has the highest rated show on Tuesdays.
          I was the one who had to deal with my brother's estate after he died and the experience made me hate the state of California, morticians, and financial institutions. Everyone tells you they are sorry but they really aren't and if money is involved that's all they care about and you have to fight for every dime. Morticians take advantage of the timing and skillfully try to sell you everything. The politicians use every angle they can to rob the family of any inheritance.

I wonder how Captain Phil's family really feel about the situation? Is this the network using their contract to strong arm the family into participating? Most families want their privacy in such matters. Doing a tribute to the man is fine but profiteering on Phil's death is just wrong and tasteless.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

"The Deadliest Catch" about to jump the shark? Capt. Sig to dance with the stars?

OK...I know there's already a "Catch"-themed thread on here about the death of Captain Phil Harris. So if a Mod wants to merge 'em, feel free.

But I think this goes to a new topic about the same show. Does anybody think that the show is about to jump the shark with some of the boys "going Hollywood?"

I expressed a fear about this possibility in another thread about how fame ruined the edge of "American Chopper", and hoped the same thing wouldn't happen to "Catch."

But now, it looks like Capt. Sig Hansen may be a contestant on "Dancing With The Stars." Read on...

From www.film.com~

Hard as it is to imagine a Deadliest Catch captain doing anything other than washing the smell of crab out of his beard and cursing a whole lot, the men can't be blamed for seeking to exploit their increasing fame in less strenuous ways.

There have been vague rumors connecting Northwestern captain Sig Hansen with Dancing With the Stars for some time now, and several months ago he acknowledged them by saying that sure, he's a fan of the show and would love to do it if asked (and if it didn't conflict with crab season). Hansen didn't regard these remarks as him campaigning, but a bandwagon was soon started for him anyway: Jay Leno gave the idea some more promotion, and now there's an active Facebook community where over 20,000 people have expressed their support for seeing Sig do the crab with Karina Smirnoff.

Hansen would not be available for a fall season of DWtS, as Northwestern is busy with king crab at that time, but the spring DWtS season typically gets under way in mid-March. Even factoring in several weeks for rehearsal, Hansen could probably wrap up the Opilio crab season in time to put on a tux (or...sequins?).

While DWtS sometimes appears reluctant to cast celebs who seem too eager to be on, naming Hansen would be in keeping with the show's strategy of selecting a few stars who come from subcultures that otherwise might not be into the quickstep, such as football or wrestling. As long as there's no conflict with Discovery (Deadliest Catch typically airs on Tuesdays at 9 p.m., the same time as the DWtS results show), this seems like a no-brainer of an idea. Sig can even ensure fresh seafood for the catering table.
            Originally posted by perilouspete
            fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Oh, for the love of Christ

Just lost all respect for Capt. Sig!
              Originally posted by vandeleur
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Sig ain't doin that shit! No fuckin way!

He would last about 5 minutes with out a smoke. LOL!

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

If Captain Sig can dance with the stars, can Gar sleep with the fishes?
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Dan
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

The Sheep Pen Mob Will Take Care Of That.
                    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

LOOK: Sig's been drinking with the Mexicans again..

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

I don't care for Capt Sig. He just acts like a know-it-all and an asshole. And he seemed to play up the sad or tore-up emotions for the camera. Like when the one kid found out his sister passed away, Sig seemed really fake about his sadness. The guy just seems lame.

As far as going Hollywood. Yes it will ruin the show. But I don't blame anyone for grabbing the big bucks while they can. Dancing in So CA is a lot easier way to make cash than sub zero temps catching crab with 2 hours of sleep. Plus he can play grab ass with his dancing partner. Them girls is smoking hot.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by GAR
                          LOOK: Sig's been drinking with the Mexicans again..
                          I thought I was on your "ignore" list, GAyR?

Get the fuck out of my thread.
                          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

My dad is Norwegian and captain Sig reminds me of my cousin. Looks and personality. I had to grow up around that ego and temper thing so it's so familiar. LOL!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

My childhood was basically saying "yes sir" and knowing your place and the adults were more than happy to point out they were the boss and we were on their ship as deckhands basically. It must be a Norwegian thing.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                My dad is Norwegian and captain Sig reminds me of my cousin. Looks and personality. I had to grow up around that ego and temper thing so it's so familiar. LOL!
                                Like Sig and Edgar always say...

"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the NORWEGIAN way."

Sounds like you experienced that shit first hand!

Comment

Working...