X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Whiteflag
    As you all know I am a Captain so this one hits home.

RIP Captain Phil Harris.
    you WERE a captain, now you are a corpse.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Whiteflag
      Banned
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
      you WERE a captain, now you are a corpse.
      But I ROSE!!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Well, I wound up watching after all. As usual, no spoilers here out of respect for you guys in later time zones...but damn, I'm speechless. Some quite compelling television.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Full Bug
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
          Last week on the show "After the catch" (I didn't see it) Johnathan talked about Phil, and broke down, refusing to say anymore. I've tried to fine it on a download, but no such luck.
          Yeah, I have been looking for that everywhere on line and cant find it either, strange how to torrents for the episodes appear almost instantly, but after the catch is nowhere to be found.....
          I'm going to download tonites episode in the morning, for some retarded reason discovery channel airs the episodes a week behind here, cant say I'm looking forward to watching it, capt. Phil was my favourite.....
          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2007

it was sad to watch for sure. next episode is gonna be very sad. what a bunch of side stories and such, the producers couldn't make this up if they tried. very sad for the harris family.
            Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I watched the DVR last night. Great show.

I guess the Time Bandit boys have made enough money off endorsements to retire. LOL

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                I hate that frickin kid.
                That goes double for me. Seeing the shit he put his dad through while we all know what was to come just made him even worse.

He's a little fuckin' drama queen who needs to be knocked on his ass.
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Igosplut
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  I watched the DVR last night. Great show.

I guess the Time Bandit boys have made enough money off endorsements to retire. LOL
                  I would say that the show was a godsend for those guys. Have you seen their Geico commercial? People tend to forget that those two seasons are only two-three weeks long. Yes that could be a years pay for normal people, but fisherman are notoriously bad with money, and living on a higher adrenalin plain makes that just that much worse. I've known guys that did crab/tuna (years ago when it was big) and saved/bought land/houses, but they are the minority. Plus fishing (as a livelyhood) is fucking hard on your body, mostly your back from years of fighting the motion of the boat. Those guys HAVE to be in the wheelhouse now, they just can't physically do it anymore.

None of those guys kids are able to captain any of those boats. They see it as the glory of TV, and none of them have worked hard enough to get to their OWN familys captain seats. never mind being a captain on somebody else's.......
                  Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

'Deadliest Catch': Discovery boss talks about future of Cornelia Marie

'Deadliest Catch': Discovery boss talks about future of Cornelia Marie
                    by Lynette Rice
                    Categories: Cable, News, Reality TV
                    Image Credit: Blair Bunting/Getty ImagesEW talked with Discovery Channel President and General Manager Clark Bunting about Capt. Phil Harris’ final episodes of Deadliest Catch, and what’s next for the extraordinary reality show about crab fisherman.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Talk about your decision to focus the final six episodes on the passing Capt. Phil Harris.
                    CLARK BUNTING: We really struggled, there’s no question. I think this is one of the harder stories in our history. We’ve gone through, unfortunately, some tragedy before. We did the Steve Irwin special, but it was a two-hour special after Steve passed. The storyline for Deadliest Catch is about the full arc of Phil’s life. It’s the full arc of going through not just what happened to Phil and the boys, but also the rest of the fleet, the captains sharing their experiences, and them becoming aware of the tragedy that happened. So, we think we’ve covered the full arc without going over the edge.

Did you ever expect this show to get so heavy?
                    Years ago, I looked at a special that (Deadliest Catch executive producer) Thom Beers had created that was really the forerunner for Deadliest Catch, and I sat there thinking, “Are you kidding me? We’re gonna do a show about crustaceans?” And then he showed me a segment about what happens on those boats, how rough the seas are. He brought us in a bunch of fresh crab and we ate crab while we watched the segment. I think it was, arguably, one of the best pitches I’ve ever seen in my 25 years and it immediately erased in my mind any doubt that this couldn’t be an amazing, heartfelt, exciting story that was, for me at least, the beginning. This is full circle. This is the full story of the captains. This is the full story of the sons. In the end, this is a generational story.

Have you been overwhelmed by the response to Capt. Harris’ death?
                    Oh my gosh — the number of pages of the posts we had on the blogs. I mean, literally, it was melting the servers. It’s just one of those things that if somebody told me about, I wouldn’t believe. I would go through them night after night to see what these posts were saying, and it was extraordinarily heartfelt. The sheer volume and the sympathy and emotion was unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

Is that reflective of the show’s ratings this season?
                    No. Honestly, I think the outpouring was disproportionate to the ratings. It’s TV. Some people watch or people sample. People see a show. But the emotion and the number of folks who wrote in are disproportionate to the number of people who watch the show. Obviously, there were a lot of fans, but above and beyond that, it was a sense of loss. I think, unfortunately, that sense of loss was something we all experience. The show has continued to do extremely well for us. It is our highest rated show on the air. They’ve always had a very loyal audience and that audience comes back week after week. Now, as you begin to get into these next episodes, my expectation is that the ratings will go up high.

Will there be a seventh season?
                    We will continue next year. And what that story looks like…I think we just want to get this one put to bed and give everybody a little bit of a break to decide where to go next year.

Will the show lighten up?
                    I think we have to. I think with any loss, there’s a process of healing. I think that’s part of what folks will naturally experience. And then, the question is, where does the story lead you from there? It’s like any great docu-soap. Part of the reason I think that people are drawn into this is that it’s genuine, it’s authentic, and the story has yet to play out. We don’t know how the boys are going to respond. We don’t know what the captains will do. We don’t know who will be the owner of the Cornelia Marie. There aren’t a bunch of writers sitting around and saying, “Okay, what are we going to do next year?” This is real. I think that’s what makes it as compelling.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Jesus, 6 weeks devoted to Captain Phil's death? I liked him as much as the next guy, but come on.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Jesus, 6 weeks devoted to Captain Phil's death? I liked him as much as the next guy, but come on.
                        I think it's more of a Catch thread now really.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

More than that actually. The way this season has been structured, the entire run of episodes has been dedicated to the guy by the way the show's opening has been changed to reflect it. Everything was building to this point, and the final six episodes will display how Phil's death impacted the entire community. In addition to the issues surrounding Harris and the Cornelia Marie, there is some subtext, mainly the disappearance of Jake Anderson's father and who will take over the Time Bandit.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

I think it's more of a Catch thread now really.
                            I think you misunderstood me. I was not referring to this thread, I was referring to this part of the story you posted:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Talk about your decision to focus the final six episodes on the passing Capt. Phil Harris.
                            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              More than that actually. The way this season has been structured, the entire run of episodes has been dedicated to the guy by the way the show's opening has been changed to reflect it. Everything was building to this point, and the final six episodes will display how Phil's death impacted the entire community. In addition to the issues surrounding Harris and the Cornelia Marie, there is some subtext, mainly the disappearance of Jake Anderson's father and who will take over the Time Bandit.
                              I agree Chef, and I love the show and watch every week - I just think that devoting the final 6 episodes to Captain Phil is milking it just a bit too much.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• chefcraig
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Apr 2004

I agree Chef, and I love the show and watch every week - I just think that devoting the final 6 episodes to Captain Phil is milking it just a bit too much.
                                I'm with ya there. It does seem quite a bit much, and this gets compounded by those "After The Catch" shows. The producers really might be burning out the show and the audience with this approach, which when you think about it is pretty much what the Discovery Channel has done with most of it's other previously successful shows. It's doubtful anyone on the planet wants to hear from the Teutul Family at this point, let alone cared when American Chopper went off the air.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...