The Official 2010-2011 Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Sports Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Notre Dame Student’s Death at Practice Under Investigation

By LYNN ZINSER New York Times

Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said on Thursday it was an “extraordinary burst of wind” that roared across the football practice fields on Wednesday, toppling a video tower and killing Declan Sullivan, the team’s 20-year-old student-manager.

Swarbrick was attending the practice late Wednesday afternoon when he said he heard the crash of the tower falling, but did not see it. At a news conference Thursday, he said the university would conduct an investigation into the conditions at the time of the accident and the decision to conduct practice outside. The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which classified the death as a workplace fatality, arrived on campus to begin its investigation Thursday morning. The tower, a mobile hydraulic lift, remained where it fell late into Thursday afternoon.

Notre Dame will play its scheduled home game Saturday against Tulsa. Swarbrick said the university considered canceling it but decided instead to dedicate it to Sullivan, with a prayer and a moment of silence beforehand. A pep rally and several other events before the game have been canceled.

Swarbrick gave no further details on the weather or the chain of events leading to the accident, saying he would let the investigation proceed before announcing anything more. He did say he did not notice the weather to be unusual before the wind gust, although the National Weather Service had a wind advisory in effect.

“I’m not going to speculate on what we’ll learn in the investigation,” Swarbrick said. “Certainly we’re going to learn from this.”

Sullivan was filming football practice from the tower, which is commonly used for shooting video during practices. Swarbrick said he did not know how high the lift was extended, nor did he know the maintenance history of the lift. He said the investigation would sift through all of those details..

“Every program makes its own decisions with regards to practices,” Swarbrick said. “We’re going to take a look at all of that in the investigation, the decision process that happened that day. It was not just one decision to practice outside. It was a series of decisions.”

Players were sent back inside after the accident, but practice continued for 20 to 30 minutes before players were dismissed. Swarbrick said he rushed over to the scene after the tower fell and Sullivan appeared to be responding to commands from medical personnel. Swarbrick said he got a call as Sullivan was being taken to the hospital that he had stopped breathing.

Coach Brian Kelly did not attend the news conference and Swarbrick said neither Kelly nor the players would be available for comment until after Saturday’s game. He said he wanted them to be able to deal with Sullivan’s death privately until then.

Sullivan, a junior from Long Grove, Ill., had posted several messages to his Facebook page via Twitter while he was up on the tower, expressing his fear of the wind. He called the conditions “terrifying.”

Swarbrick said the investigation would look into whether Sullivan had expressed his fear to the team’s video coordinator, to whom he reported.

Until those questions are answered, Swarbrick said there was little to do but honor Sullivan’s memory and mourn.

“This is a time of extraordinary sorrow and grief,” he said. “As a father of four with two of my children away at college, I can only imagine how difficult this is.”

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Holy Crap...Notre Dame lost to fucking Tulsa...

I've got no words...none...

Look at it this way Icon...Normally a new coach comes in and loses two games their first year...signs a ten year deal...then proves to suck. Perhaps this is the backwards version...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Of course...I'm sure Kelly is blaming himself for the mishap...and there's no way that team was playing at 100%...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• conmee
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

The season is over. Even if they have the wherewithal and healthy players to win games against Utah, Army, and USC, it's still a 7-5 season, and most likely it is looking like 5-7 with no bowl eligibility. Oh well, there is always next season.

That is all.

Icon©®™
          An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
          hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• Von Halen
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Fuck the fucking bullshit "Midfuckingwest" shithole. Northern fucks.

Two ranked teams in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are playing, and we are forced to watch two shit teams like Notre Dame and USC play? Are you fucking kidding me?

Comment

• conmee
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

It is that time of year again... The Notre Dame Fighting Irish National Championship Watch begins! Ok, that's over-stating things, but as they make their way toward a BCS Bowl I'll continue to post regularly, and if they start sucking after Week 3, then I'll post less and less. The schedule looks surprisingly advantageous this year, with Michigan rebuilding and a bye before the USC game at South Bend, perhaps the Stanford game at the end of the season might mean something.

Also my UNLV Runnin' Rebels are lining up against Wisconsin (at Wisconsin) for the season opener. Slaughter expected, but maybe they can beat in-state rival Nevada (Reno) although highly unlikely.

GO IRISH!
              GO REBELS!

That is all.

Icon©®™
              hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

Comment

• High Life Man
                Commando
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by conmee
                Also my UNLV Runnin' Rebels are lining up against Wisconsin (at Wisconsin) for the season opener. Slaughter expected, but maybe they can beat in-state rival Nevada (Reno) although highly unlikely.
                On a Thursday night, nonetheless. Can't wait!

Go Badgers!

Comment

• conmee
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

My UNLV Runnin' Rebels put up a good fight for 47 seconds and then proceeded to lose 51-17 to Wisconsin - and I blame Wisconsin's missed point for fucking up the spread goddammit!!! Hopefully the Irish have a better showing against University of South Florida, which as I understand it is an extension of ITT or University of Phoenix.

Join me tomorrow as we cheer on the Irish on the road to the national championship!!!!

That is all.

Icon©®™™

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Hehehehe

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

...and skip holtz is officially entered as the 2012 head coac of Notre Dame...usf 16-Notre dame 0

tOSU's tattoos could beat Notre Dame

Comment

• conmee
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Mar 2003

Well good news that we were only on the road to the championship all of a few minutes until that goal line fumble.

I'm mailing my diploma back to the university with some hate mail included.

At least UNLV put up 17 against Wisconsin...

GO REBELS!!!

Icon

Comment

• conmee
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

I'm expecting a 2-10 season right about now, but if we can just somehow beat Michigan and USC, I'll be cool with that.

That is all.

Icon©®™

P.S. Pojo... SUck It!!!!!

P.P.S. Where is Man Entry at?

Comment

• Dan
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Where Are All The Ladies At?
                            First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• conmee
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

Looking good with the new QB... and also helps everyone is catching the ball now. Maybe hope for the season yet...

That is all.

Icon©®™

Comment

• conmee
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

I'm getting tired of being on the losing end of great games against Michigan. I'm not posting in my beloved ND thread again until the Irish have a winning record... 0-2 now, so not sure how long before I'll be back to this thread.

That is all.

Icon©©©

Comment

Working...