X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Did Ed feel threatened by Yngwie?

On the contrary, I read that Edward Van Halen is one of the nicest dudes in the world. I was looking forward to meeting him and hopefully becoming good friends with him. Whenever I'm somewhere that he happens to be, I ask someone to relay a message, saying that I was around and that I would love to meet him. But I still haven't met the guy--he seems to be hiding from me and suddenly disappears whenever he finds out I happen to be around.

It's a very sad and totally unnecessary situation. I've always respected him and I think he's a great guitar player--he's probably inspired more people to play guitar than Hendrix did. The bottom line is: he's got nothing to worry about. The impression I'm getting is that he's feeling threatened by me, but I may be totally wrong. If I were to become extremely famous and everyone started calling me the guitar hero, that would not delete what he is and what he's accomplished. Just because Van Halen has been called the new guitar hero, that didn't automatically diminish what Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page accomplished.

When I heard the first Van Halen album, I couldn't believe how great the guitar playing was. And when I heard that album, it was at a point when I didn't like any of the new players. I mean, he totally changed the whole guitar field. And he's still as great now as he's ever been. I would love to jam with him.
    Guitar World Malmsteen Interview 1987 ...Link

Sounds like Ed had his vanishing act down after Allan Holdsworth handed him his ass after their jam at G.I.T. Hollywood ...('84 I believe).
    A friend of mine was studying there at the time and witnessed the spectacle, or should I say ownage.
    Yngwie is absolutely right. Ed had already established himself as the new king and nothing would change that.
    Shit, it took him 20 years to decay into a shadow of himself.

It's time for redemption in 2007 !
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • Bluestreak
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Aug 2007

Ed didn't want to meet Yngwie because Yngwie is a dork and Yngwie had a lot more to gain out of meeting Ed than Ed did from meeting Yngwie. Ed has true talent and is an actual celeb. Yngwie would have been just another guitar store hanging out nerd if it wasn't for the shred metal that was popular in the 80's. Eddie hated anything that was played fast just for the sake of playing fast. Yngwie's music while technically impressive does nothing to stir the emotions. I am a guitar playing hack and I can play the intro to Unchained and that sounds ten times cooler than anything anything Yngwie ever played.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think if Ed had a cheeseburger in his hand, yes, he's intimidated by Yngwie...

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
        Head Fluffer
        • Aug 2007

Or if the meeting place Yngwie was referring to was anywhere close to a restaurant and he expected Ed to buy. Seriously, intimidated by Yngwie, that is like saying Joe Montana was intimidated by Steve Young. It just did not happen.

Comment

• katie
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Nov 2004

Re: Did Ed feel threatened Yngwie?

Originally posted by diamondjimi

Sounds like Ed had his vanishing act down after Allan Holdsworth handed him his ass after their jam at G.I.T. Hollywood ...('84 I believe).
          A friend of mine was studying there at the time and witnessed the spectacle, or should I say ownage.
          Yngwie is absolutely right. Ed had already established himself as the new king and nothing would change that.

What a load of childish drivel.

But happy posting to you anyway

x

Comment

• ziggysmalls
            Full On Cocktard
            • Dec 2006

Eddie and Holdsworth were friends up until Eddie was going to produce his album. Eddie got ticked that he went with a different producer. He knew that Alan slayed him and made comments about how great of a gutiarist he was. The GIT performance did not ruin their friendship.

Concerning Yngwie, Eddie did make a comment to Sammy that he was very fast. I don't think Eddie worried about him. Steve Lukather is a better guitar player than Eddie yet is one of his best friends.

Comment

• delta5150
              Head Fluffer
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ziggysmalls

Steve Lukather is a better guitar player than Eddie
              What are you saying????
              I've heard his solo stuff and it's
              mediocre at best

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

Hendrix, Van Halen, and Yngwie - the three men that revoluationized the electric guitar! They are ALL geniuses.

People that say Yngwie is just fast and has no feel / emotion would probably not be able to tell the difference between Mozart and Run DMC.

Does anyone have any other details on the Van Halen - Holdsworth jam where Eddie got his ass kicked? Is there a recording of it anywhere? Hard to imagine Eddie getting his ass kicked by anyone, even Allan Holdsworth.
                "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                  Hendrix, Van Halen, and Yngwie - the three men that revoluationized the electric guitar! They are ALL geniuses.

People that say Yngwie is just fast and has no feel / emotion would probably not be able to tell the difference between Mozart and Run DMC.
                  Does anyone have any other details on the Van Halen - Holdsworth jam where Eddie got his ass kicked? Is there a recording of it anywhere? Hard to imagine Eddie getting his ass kicked by anyone, even Allan Holdsworth.
                  My friend (guitar player) used to have an audiotape of the performance that we used to listen to back oh 86-89 and I do not recall Ed getting "slain" at all . If anything I remember just how fuckin good Ed sounded and how different both of them played. I recall interviews of Alan praising Edward.

Comment

• ziggysmalls
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by delta5150
                    What are you saying????
                    I've heard his solo stuff and it's
                    mediocre at best
                    When I said that, I was meaning as a total guitar player. Lukather is one of the best session players of the past 30 years. I don't care for his material and he will never be Eddie Van Halen however he can play guitar.

I have an mp3 of that Holdsworth jam but not here at work. Audio is not stellar but you can hear the difference between the two. Eddie sounds like he is trying to play "outside" while Holdsworth is actually doing it. I am sure if you Holdsworth play the solo to You Really Got Me, it would sound strange as well. Eddie did not embarass himself.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                      Sniper
                      • Apr 2004

Please post the EVH Holdsworth jam MP3! I would love to hear it!

Comment

• TVGUY
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Feb 2007

emotion would probably not be able to tell the difference between Mozart and Run DMC.

WTF... are you on crack?
                        Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by TVGUY
                          WTF... are you on crack?
                          No. But anyone who does not think Yngwie is a musical genius is on crack - or extraordinarily closed minded.

Comment

• Eddie's Booze
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2007

Re: Did Ed feel threatened Yngwie?

Originally posted by diamondjimi
                            Guitar World Malmsteen Interview 1987 ...Link

Both Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen are true innovators of "THE INSTRUMENT"......

Eddie and Yngwie have influenced as many guitar players as Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Ritchie Blackmore did.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai aren't even good enough to roadie for Eddie and Yngwie.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...moking_dog.jpg

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

No. But anyone who does not think Yngwie is a musical genius is on crack - or extraordinarily closed minded.
                              Exactly.
                              Originally posted by conmee
                              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                              Originally posted by eddie78
                              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Working...