Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance

1. If you work hard, and become successful, it does not necessarily mean you are successful because you worked hard, just as if you are tall with long hair it doesn’t mean you would be a midget if you were bald.

2. “Fortune” is a word for having a lot of money and for having a lot of luck, but that does not mean the word has two definitions.

3. Money is like a child—rarely unaccompanied. When it disappears, look to those who were supposed to be keeping an eye on it while you were at the grocery store. You might also look for someone who has a lot of extra children sitting around, with long, suspicious explanations for how they got there.

4. People who say money doesn’t matter are like people who say cake doesn’t matter—it’s probably because they’ve already had a few slices.

5. There may not be a reason to share your cake. It is, after all, yours. You probably baked it yourself, in an oven of your own construction with ingredients you harvested yourself. It may be possible to keep your entire cake while explaining to any nearby hungry people just how reasonable you are.

6. Nobody wants to fall into a safety net, because it means the structure in which they’ve been living is in a state of collapse and they have no choice but to tumble downwards. However, it beats the alternative.

7. Someone feeling wronged is like someone feeling thirsty. Don’t tell them they aren’t. Sit with them and have a drink.

8. Don’t ask yourself if something is fair. Ask someone else—a stranger in the street, for example.

9. People gathering in the streets feeling wronged tend to be loud, as it is difficult to make oneself heard on the other side of an impressive edifice.

10. It is not always the job of people shouting outside impressive buildings to solve problems. It is often the job of the people inside, who have paper, pens, desks, and an impressive view.

11. Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending.

12. If you have a large crowd shouting outside your building, there might not be room for a safety net if you’re the one tumbling down when it collapses.

13. 99 percent is a very large percentage. For instance, easily 99 percent of people want a roof over their heads, food on their tables, and the occasional slice of cake for dessert. Surely an arrangement can be made with that niggling 1 percent who disagree.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      Not so fast, grasshopper. You should know who produced that video before you promote it.....

Come on Ford. Don't be so fucking clearly hypocritical. You wouldn't even admit that any negative video showing the Tea Party could have possibly been manufactured by someone with ill intent. But now when the same damn thing happens to a movement you agree with of course it's happening. You would be shocked if it wasn't.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Dr. Love
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Comment

• Dr. Love
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Comment

• Dr. Love
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

I think these paint a pretty clear picture of the trend in america and what's wrong with it.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Thanks Doc. Those graphics illustrate perfectly what I've been saying for some time now about what the last 30 years of fucked up regressive policies have done to this country (and others- just ask the Greeks, not to mention the Afghans and Iraqis).

Time to roll it all back and unleash some Roosevelt ghosts on their asses. First Teddy to bust up the corporations, then FDR to make sure it never happens again.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    Come on Ford. Don't be so fucking clearly hypocritical. You wouldn't even admit that any negative video showing the Tea Party could have possibly been manufactured by someone with ill intent. But now when the same damn thing happens to a movement you agree with of course it's happening. You would be shocked if it wasn't.
                    I always do my research on these smear videos, especially when they're produced by some group that nobody ever heard of before. This one just happened to be yet another extention of Bill Kristol and his fellow PNAC/Likud hatemonger propagandists.

Even when a group behind the ad has a name that sounds like a sensible organization, it helps to do your research. For example you would think that a group calling itself "Americans for Jobs, Health Care and Progressive Values" would be the type of group someone like me would be in favor of, right?

Sadly, the hateful ad this group produced proved that their true goals were the exact polar opposite of what their name suggested. And the entire country suffered for it. And is still suffering for it, because it destroyed our only real chance to end the BCE's damage to this country

So do your research. If the group producing a video calls itself "Vegans for a Sustainable Food Supply" and their membership all comes from Texas factory slaughterhouses, would you believe a word they said??
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Blaze
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Me love me some mountain ridge of the kinfolk!
                      "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                      sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                        I am a duck!
                        You certainly are!
                        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                        sigpic

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

One Marine vs 30 cops: Marine wins!

uploaded by BklynJHandy on Oct 16, 2011

United States Marine Corps. Sgt. Shamar Thomas from Roosevelt, NY went toe to toe with the New York Police Department. An activist in the Occupy Wall Street movement, Thomas voiced his opinions of the NYPD police brutality that had and has been plaguing the #OWS movement.

Thomas is a 24-year-old Marine Veteran (2 tours in Iraq), he currently plays amateur football and is in college.

Thomas comes from a long line of people who sacrifice for their country: Mother, Army Veteran (Iraq), Step father, Army, active duty (Afghanistan), Grand father, Air Force veteran (Vietnam), Great Grand Father Navy veteran (World War II).
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

So what's the story with the 3 great great grandfathers who didn't serve in WWII?

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              So what's the story with the 3 great great grandfathers who didn't serve in WWII?
                              Could have just been the wrong age. Like my grandfather who was born in 1900, so he was too young for WWi, and in his 40's by the time the US got into WWII.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hah, I'm being awkward and I made a mistake, he of course has 7 other great great grandfathers not 3.

It's just a pet hate of mine that people very often arbitrarily choose a particular branch of a family tree that suits them and ignore the fact that they are just as much made up from the genes of the other 15 great great grand parents.

Comment

Working...