X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_is_vh
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
    Regarding the "Concerto for Electric Guitar & Orchestra" album, I think Yngwie was heavily inspired by Deep Purple's "Concerto for Group & Orchestra" album...to be quite honest, I haven't heard the DP album in question, so I can't say for sure, but people have told me that it's very much in the style of...?
    As Yngwie likes to point out, there are many bands that have performed their rock songs with an orchestra in the background. Deep Purple, Metallica, Kiss etc.

Yngwie's Concerto for Electric Guitar and Orchestra is completely different. It is not rock music performed with an orchestra in the background. It is classical music. All the music in the concerto was composed as classical music, not adaptations of rock songs. Also there is no singing - it is completely instrumental.

All these people who say Yngwie sucks would have their jaws drop to the floor if they saw the DVD of Yngwie performing his concerto with a full orchestra in Japan.

But then again most of the people who say Yngwie suck probably could not make through the first movement of a Mozart or Beethoven symphony without falling asleep.

And all you EVH sheep out there, there is no doubt that EVH was blown away by and totally jealous of Yngwie's concerto.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

I see. I was very much impressed with the Concerto (more so than a lot of his other output)...just wasn't sure how the DP comparisons played into that, but it makes a lot more sense now...

Coolios...
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
        Sniper
        • Apr 2004

Bob get that DVD of Yngwie's concerto performance if you don't have it already. It will blow your mind.

Comment

• eddie78
          Head Fluffer
          • Nov 2004

Both of you guys are complete idiots!

Yngwie writing memorable songs, hmmm....

I think the last 20 years of his catalogue is interchangable.
          Face the animal, unleash the fury...the guy is a relic from 1985.
          Look at those titles, much listen to the crappy material!

I love how Bueno Bob attempts to dissect my posts all scholarly, when it's apparent the guy wouldn't understand a good riff or solo if it hit him right in the nuts...

and then you have Dave_is_VH chiming in, like a monkey swinging from the tree.

I certainly have heard Yngwie's output, as i've had all the crappy records from Steeler to Seventh Sign, back in my "just buy it, if there's guitar on it" phase.

As a mature adult, i have outgrown my poodle-rock mistep & embraced the real artists like Edward, Page & Holdsworth.

And God Bless Ritchie Blackmore for giving Yngwie an idea in the first place.
          Blackmore, Ulrich Roth, Schenker & Rhoads did the classical/rock hybrid a billion times better.

Comment

• eddie78
            Head Fluffer
            • Nov 2004

I am a viking....

Yeah, that's right up there with Unchained, you meatheads! LOL.

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by eddie78

...the guy is a relic from 1985.
              Yup....sounds like EVH post ROTH........

Hmmmmmmm.......

If only YNGWIE had joined DAVE's band in 1985........:p

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

Bob and I don't have to convince anyone that Yngwie is great.

Yngwie has already convinced his millions of fans and the thousands of musicians that admire his work.

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Both of you guys are complete idiots!
                  OK, debate over. I guess that settles it.

Yngwie writing memorable songs, hmmm....
                  Hey, you're the one that seems to remember them...

Don't blame me...

I think the last 20 years of his catalogue is interchangable.
                  Face the animal, unleash the fury...the guy is a relic from 1985.
                  Look at those titles, much listen to the crappy material!
                  Well, I'm sorry the song titles don't suit you much, but you haven't done anything to deflate the fact that he's an incredible guitarist and the bulk and his work is outstanding, from a strictly musical application and perspective.

But you've proven that the song titles are dumb, so congratulations...I salute you...

I love how Bueno Bob attempts to dissect my posts all scholarly,
                  There's really not much of an attempt in it. Like most Yngwie detractors, you fall back on the "He's a poopyhead!" argument when you can't base your arguments on anything accurate.

I'm still waiting for the part where you prove he sucks at guitar...

when it's apparent the guy wouldn't understand a good riff or solo if it hit him right in the nuts...
                  Same argument could be made for you based on the same logic. My CD collection expands over 3000 discs, so I'd say my tastes are pretty diverse - how about yours?

(Hint - this is where you tell me you have 4000 discs!)

I certainly have heard Yngwie's output, as i've had all the crappy records from Steeler to Seventh Sign, back in my "just buy it, if there's guitar on it" phase.
                  Hey, nobody forced you to buy 'em...

If you don't like Yngwie for what he is, that's cool, but you can dump the "He's a shitty guitarist" nonsense that goes with it, because if you actually bothered to listen to any of them once you bought them, you'd know better...

As a mature adult, i have outgrown my poodle-rock mistep & embraced the real artists like Edward, Page & Holdsworth.
                  Oh? That's kinda funny, that you have to be an adult to enjoy "REAL" rock guitarists.

Who makes the distinction? You? Your friends?

Or is it SIMPLY A MATTER OF OPINION?

How many times has CVH been derided as juvenile by the same standards?

Dumbass. Think a bit.

And God Bless Ritchie Blackmore for giving Yngwie an idea in the first place.
                  Ever read the "Dune" series?

Paul Muad'Dib discovered the Golden Path; his son, Leto II, perfected it's application.

Point I'm making is that things can be improved on. Malmsteen improved upon what Ritchie Blackmore was hinting at. Some years from now, maybe tomorrow, somebody will improve upon what Yngwie's done. Same as people have improved upon what Page, Beck, Holdsworth, Iommi, Hendrix and etc etc have done.

Blackmore, Ulrich Roth, Schenker & Rhoads did the classical/rock hybrid a billion times better.
                  I highly disagree. While they laid the original groundwork for the movement, Yngwie Malmsteen improved vastly upon it's applications and gave fans of the field something new to aspire to. That's not opinion, it's a basic fact; if you didn't notice that he was VERY much the hottest new thing in the early to late '80's, spawning THOUSANDS of clones and giving players entirely new concepts to work with when it came to neoclassical/shred, your head is simply in the sand.

Sorry.
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• eddie78
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Nov 2004

Yngwie appeals to a very narrow segment in the music community: Guitar players.

Edward & Van Halen appeal to musicians & non-musicians alike.
                    Everyone knows who Edward Van Halen is, while only subscribers to Guitar World would anticipate anything Yngwie related.

It's all about the songs, and VH remains a classic band with a catalogue of classic songs.
                    Even the Hagar crap is somewhat sophisticated crap, and gets attention to this day.

The lunacy is thinking Ed would feel threatened by an Yngwie Malmsteen, when it's clear Ed sees his peers as only other legendary players like Jimmy Page or Holdsworth.
                    Ed is a musician, not a shrapnel follower from the shred mindset.
                    Unlike you or i, he's not bothered by the same disposable crap we all found exciting back in the day.

Yngwie tapped, yet Ed never played diminished sweep arpeggios.
                    Yngwie stole the entire "Yngwie fucking Malmsteen' or "who the fuck is yngwie" from EVH.
                    He even attempted the cigarette behind the headstock deal, Ed always utilized.

EVH just looked fucking cool & unpretentious.
                    He was always himself, grinning & jumping and playing the guitar like it was an extension of himself.
                    Yngwie was dressing like an idiot & making those idiotic faces, like every other wannabe chump player.

Yngwie will be a footnote, Ed will have several chapters, when it's all said & done.

All these guys, Yngwie, Vai, Satch, Lynch....
                    They pretty much just ran with Ed's concept.
                    Ed did it all first with better tone.

I love George Lynch, but even he will tell you it all goes back to EVH.

Comment

• eddie78
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Nov 2004

How has Yngwie improved upon Ritchie Blackmore, Bueno Bob?
                      Explain that to me.

Sure, Yng can pick faster & cleaner & his technical ability has surpassed that of Blackmore.
                      But your entire argument regarding Malmsteen is based on Technical ability alone.
                      You havent pointed out any groundbreaking songs by Yng, any compositions that have appealed to the masses like classic era VH.
                      Christ, there isn't one, Bob.
                      You & i both know that.
                      How has Yngwie improved upon Ritchie, is the question, though.
                      Let's consider this, Bob.
                      Ritchie has a slew of classic material with Purple & Rainbow.
                      He has written the most copied guitar riff of all time & contributed immensley to deset island discs like Machine Head.
                      Yngwie has released Unleash the Fury...hmmm.
                      You are merely blinded by technique, which is only one part of great guitar playing.
                      Just because some fat swedish guy can sweep pick fast arpeggios does not make him an "improvement" on a truly legendary player like Ritchie Blackmore.
                      You have no argument in this debate.

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Perhaps, but all the vets that were in LA back in the day will tell you that both EVH and Rhoads thought Lynch was the terrifying one.
                        Originally posted by conmee
                        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

How has Yngwie improved upon Ritchie Blackmore, Bueno Bob?
                          Explain that to me.
                          Yes, his technique is better, but so is his vibrato and note selection...

You have no argument in this debate.
                          Let's not go that far, Sparky. Your house is looking a little glassy in this debate as well....
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Yngwie appeals to a very narrow segment in the music community: Guitar players. Edward & Van Halen appeal to musicians & non-musicians alike.
                            Well, I'm not a guitarist, so...scratch that theory.

Everyone knows who Edward Van Halen is, while only subscribers to Guitar World would anticipate anything Yngwie related.
                            Ahh, and there it is.

Not everybody knows who Edward Van Halen is! But people are more familiar with the BAND VAN HALEN. Not so much it's actual members, per se, although Ed and Dave are the two fronts there - Dave more predominantly than Ed.

It's all about the songs, and VH remains a classic band with a catalogue of classic songs.
                            Up until 1984, I absolutely agree with you.

Even the Hagar crap is somewhat sophisticated crap, and gets attention to this day.
                            HAHAHAHAHA

Proof positive right there - you're an Eddie Brownnoser. No WAY you can defend the Van Hagar bullshit against me, jack. Not in a million years.

Game, set and match.

The lunacy is thinking Ed would feel threatened by an Yngwie Malmsteen, when it's clear Ed sees his peers as only other legendary players like Jimmy Page or Holdsworth.
                            I really don't recall many interviews where Ed has anything nice to say about much any other guitarist, actually.

Did he tell you that, though?

Ed is a musician, not a shrapnel follower from the shred mindset.
                            Unlike you or i, he's not bothered by the same disposable crap we all found exciting back in the day.
                            You know Ed well enough to say this...how?

Because if you DON'T know Ed on a personal level, you can't speak with any certainty as to what Ed's mindset was/is regarding ANY other guitarist, unless you can back it up with proof, i.e. verifiable links and/or other evidence. All you can judge with is Ed's actions and/or words.

Short of that, you're speculating, and you've already demonstrated that you've got a case of "Well, maybe it's not SO bad"-itis across the board when it comes to Edward Van Halen - erego, your conjecture is essentially worthless.

Yngwie tapped, yet Ed never played diminished sweep arpeggios.
                            And that can be taken either way, can't it?

Yngwie stole the entire "Yngwie fucking Malmsteen' or "who the fuck is yngwie" from EVH.
                            Displaying your ignorance. There were "Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen" and "Who the Fuck is Yngwie Malmsteen?" signs/posters/et al as early as 1986.

He even attempted the cigarette behind the headstock deal, Ed always utilized.
                            Getting desperate?

EVH just looked fucking cool & unpretentious.
                            To Van Halen fans like us, of course he looked cool. But he was often times considered...what was it...an EGOMANIAC?

That's called "pretentious" in other terms.

Pot, meet kettle...

Besides - the point really is, who fucking cares who looked like what back in the day? That's a rather blase' argument. I know a guy a few miles away from me that could embarass BOTH of them (even if they were both still in their prime) he's so damn good, and he's got poofy hair and bad acne.

The point is - if you care about how "cool" a guitarist is when judging their attributes and skill on their chosen instrument, you're judging by the wrong criteria.

He was always himself, grinning & jumping and playing the guitar like it was an extension of himself.
                            Well gee whiz. Tony Iommi always stood in a corner and looked down.

SO WHAT?

Yngwie was dressing like an idiot & making those idiotic faces, like every other wannabe chump player.
                            "Poopyhead" argument.

Yngwie will be a footnote, Ed will have several chapters, when it's all said & done.
                            Really?

Because earlier you said:

Ed's creative peak from 78-84 is enough for several lifetimes of guitar playing. He has nothing left to prove, as those six records said it all.
                            So which is it?

All these guys, Yngwie, Vai, Satch, Lynch....they pretty much just ran with Ed's concept. Ed did it all first with better tone.
                            If you can't appreciate what those guitarists all brought to the table without running back to hang from Eddie's penis, I feel really sorry for you, honestly.

Care to find a link to that quote? How rock guitar all began and ended with Eddie Van Halen? I'd like to see where George Lynch said Eddie Van Halen invented rock and roll on guitar.

...or you could (as you've done previously) ignore the points made and come out with some more "Yngwie is a poopyhead and Eddie is hella-coolz!" arguments for me to disassemble...
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                              Sniper
                              • Apr 2004

Here is a fool proof test for identifying people who think the USA is the only country in the world:

If the person says things like "only musicians like Yngwie", you know that person does not realize there are other countries on this planet of ours.

Comment

• eddie78
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                                Perhaps, but all the vets that were in LA back in the day will tell you that both EVH and Rhoads thought Lynch was the terrifying one.
                                But Lynch himself was quoted in GW as saying, hearing Edward was a revelation. Lynch said he immediately felt awful about his own playing & was inspired to woodshed constantly.
                                He couldn't believe anyone could play that well.
                                He totally gave props to Ed for influencing his own playing in the late 70's.
                                I love both Randy & Lynch, but neither knocked me out with their pre-Ozzy & pre-Dokken stuff.
                                The Quiet Riot things were just dreadful.
                                With Osbourne, Rhoads fully developed & took his game much farther.
                                Ed had the chops & songs from as early as '76.
                                Even his pre-tapping stuff, during the club days, is just mind blowing.
                                I think both George & Randy probablly looked at this guy & worked their asses off, eventually mastering their own styles.

Comment

Working...